A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Chiburi
    Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:07 am

Hello. Wanted to see if anyone has experience with either the Miller T94i or Speedglas Adflo setups. I know they are pricey but thinking of purchasing a setup in the near future. Hope everyone is doing well during this crazy crisis. Stay safe.
    Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:10 pm

I have the Miller PAPR system with the Titanium 9400i, got it bout 4 years ago. Love the system itself, highly recommend a papr system for flux core or stick, it does an awesome job of getting rid of fumes. Right after I got it i had a job come in that involved plasma cutting a lot of painted steel and welding patches on. My whole shop was a blue haze, inside the helmet I didnt notice a thing.
That said, I am very disappointed in the 9400i hood itself. Its heavy and poorly made in my opinion. The flip up lense/grinding shield has a plastic hinge system that creaks and squeaks when you flip it up/down, and wears out pretty quick. After about a month it was worn out to the point where when I look down onto my table the flip up lense falls slightly open and lets arc light in through the bottom. I replaced the hinges, which fixed the problem but only for another month. Miller customer support was no help either.
Maybe I just got a bad batch, a lot of people like Miller gear. But for a supposedly high level hood, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Chiburi

Thanks Jay for the information. I'm not sure if they have made any changes since you purchased it or not. That is something that I will have to inquire about. I was also looking at the Speedglas. It's alittle more but if it's a better design then it would be worth it. Have to do some more research. Thanks again for the input.

So the Titanium 9400i, which is what I have, was replaced right after I bought it with the T94. Seems like a completely different hood, hopefully a lot better, but I've never used it so I can't speak on it. Might be a really good hood. Just make sure you know which one you're getting.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Chiburi

Thanks for the update Jay.
Kosak76
    Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:55 pm

I have the Miller T94i-R PAPR. Great hood and system. Great optical clarity. I wish the design covered the neck up a little bit better but I button my jacket all the way up anyway. You can find parts for it fairly cheap on eBay (spare batteries, lenses, filters, etc) at least cheaper than the speedglas parts. Gotta think when you're buying one of these what you are gonna need to change out on it
I would stick with the Miller just for the cheaper parts and it's a great hood too. Gonna need to take some time to adjust the headgear correctly to get it sitting comfortably.
Chiburi

Thank you for the information on the Miller. I was leaning towards the Miller for that reason...spare parts readily available. I spoke with a friend of mine who has 30 years working as a welder and he said comfort would be a major factor. Both are good units. Did you go with the standard helmet or the flip up with grind shield. Thank you again for the information.

Good to hear that the new one is better!

I'd definitely go for the flip up lense/clear grinding shield. Because it has the cloth cover on the back of the head and around your neck you can't flip the hood up like a regular hood. So if you had to take it off completely just to do some layout, marking, adjusting, whatever that would be really annoying really fast. Versus flip up the lease, do what you gotta go, flip down and keep welding.
I often wear it just for grinding if I have a lot to do. Especially in tight spots or underneath stuff where you'd have sparks on the back of your head..down you neck etc this thing keeps them off you.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Chiburi

Jay appreciate the information on the flip up model. Makes sense and at this point what's another $100...lol. No actually at the price point it just makes sense to spend alittle more for the convenience of not having to lift and reset the hood everytime. Wasn't thinking about that.