A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:Here's one on Ebay for only 300 bones. The company selling it also sell them on Amazon for full price.
It's used with 2 cracks in the shell. :roll:
My guess is that it is new (i.e., never worn), but only being listed as used due to the damage so the buyer can't file a claim. Could repair those small cracks with just a bit of epoxy. Even drill and grind them a bit before the epoxy if you wanted to get really intense with it ;)
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Spartan wrote:My guess is that it is new (i.e., never worn), but only being listed as used due to the damage so the buyer can't file a claim. Could repair those small cracks with just a bit of epoxy. Even drill and grind them a bit before the epoxy if you wanted to get really intense with it ;)
EXACTLY, so the buyer can't file a claim, it's yours, deal is done...

Might be a good deal for you, I'll spend the extra $129 and get a new one if I decide to pull the trigger on one. ;)

Thing is, I would get the new one and drop it the first week and put 2 cracks on the shell... :lol:

Seriously I would hope they're more durable than just cracking if you drop them, that one was probably damaged in shipping. :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
Spartan wrote:My guess is that it is new (i.e., never worn), but only being listed as used due to the damage so the buyer can't file a claim. Could repair those small cracks with just a bit of epoxy. Even drill and grind them a bit before the epoxy if you wanted to get really intense with it ;)
EXACTLY, so the buyer can't file a claim, it's yours, deal is done...

Might be a good deal for you, I'll spend the extra $129 and get a new one if I decide to pull the trigger on one. ;)

Thing is, I would get the new one and drop it the first week and put 2 cracks on the shell... :lol:

Seriously I would hope they're more durable than just cracking if you drop them, that one was probably damaged in shipping. :)
Agreed probably damaged in shipping...but who knows. Maybe Oscar can do some drop tests on the 2.0 he just bought to help the community here find out if they are fragile or not :lol:

That Ebay listing does have a 30 day return policy noted on the listing, though. So that does actually offer quite a bit of protection if there is something wrong with it.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I don't know a lot...no, I don't know squat about this new technology. Would a wack like the one that cracked the shell cause the lens to do something stupid? Kinda like when ya drop your watch and the numbers get to moving around when you're late for a date at the chiropractor for adjusting your limp?
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Not a chance for shipping damage. The helmet material is super pliable. You would crush the whole thing before you'd get cracks like that. But at the same time, I doubt cracks like that made it through Optrel's QC check.
Spartan

Well looks like somebody already grabbed it anyway. Probably a good deal for them would be my guess.

Plasma cutting with the Crystal 2.0 is just as outrageously awesome!

Got some cheap $10 polarized sunglasses. Only been doing plasma cutting, but they seem to do the trick to darken everything +2 shade levels. I usually plasma cut at Shade 6, but wearing the sunglasses (first, before I put on my regular prescription eyeglasses, as the other way around doesn't work well for whatever reason), I ended up turning it all the way down to shade 4, and it appears identical to Shade 6-before-the-sunglasses. Of course you do lose the ultra-light undarkened state because you are wearing the sunglasses, but I have a feeling that 300A+ welding will no longer be an issue. Also the true-color artifact stays unaffected with sunglasses. Everything is just as crisp and clear as before, just approx ~2 shades darker.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Oscar wrote:Got some cheap $10 polarized sunglasses.
I invested in 2 x 2450 coin batteries for my Miller Digital Elite, started getting a low battery light the other night. Cleaned everything up and will continue using it until I decide to pull the trigger on the Crystal 2.0.

A plasma is probably another tool I need to consider...don't have one of those. I think I'll need to live without one for the time being. I need to buy a septic, hardware to install my logs on the foundation, and rafters to finish the roof. :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

This is what it looks like through the lens in the un-darkened state. Almost as clear as glass.

v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Oscar, how does the 2.0 view compare to Jody's last 7018 video footage?

https://youtu.be/tAriwVak8Fk

v5cvbb wrote:Oscar, how does the 2.0 view compare to Jody's last 7018 video footage?

https://youtu.be/tAriwVak8Fk
It pretty much looks like his camera arc shots. True color, just a dimmer version of reality, and of course ultra clear.
Spartan

I'm pretty sure he was using one of the Viking 4C lenses for a long time for his arc shots, but maybe 6-12 months ago it appeared that he upgraded even further. Perhaps that was to the Optrel Crystal lens. Or maybe something completely different.