A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

This is a product that is FREE! But unfortunately it is only available to America at this time.

On a recent WTAT podcast, the 3 musketeers interviewed Art Kepplen, co founder of CK Worldwide (the K in CK).

If you reside in the U.S., you can send a request to help@ckworldwide.com to request one of these EZ DABR devices, it is free of charge and CK Worldwide pays the shipping as well. Art mentioned he's doing it to give something back to the welding community for all the loyal support they've received over the years. I find that a noble gesture, whether people like the device or not, they're not charging for it (at least at this time). Sorry to any non-US members here, I know there are more than a few Canadian, Oz, NZ, UK and EU folks, but I don't make the rules. :D

In the interview Art brought up a device he had been working with Jody on which is called the EZ DABR, it's a tig filler device to assist in feeding the filler.

Ok, I know some people will be skeptical and rightfully so, feeding tig filler is something that most tig welders overcome. However in the podcast I think Jody and Art bring up a good point in that devices like the tig pen have been helpful for some people that have handicap disabilities and/or can't feed the filler easily in their non-torch hand, and I can see how this device could help those people. So, in that regard I see this as a possible very useful device for some people.

(and keep in mind, there are no instructions, so this is what I could figure out with my first look)

Here's a pic of the actual device:

This is how I am guessing you attach the device to your feed hand, it has a ratchet mechanism that you can adjust to fit on your finger, and the scallop portion appear to fit behind your other finger so you have this filler tube to hold the filler rod so you don't need to worry about that on your feed hand.

And then of course you can in theory more easily adjust your feed fingers and feed the filler. Normally I hold the filler between my middle and ring finger and move/adjust my thumb/index to feed, so with this device I wouldn't need to hold the filler while I adjust to feed.

NOTE: one caveat as best I can tell is that it seems they sent a 3/32" and 1/16" tube holder that the filler feeds through, and if that is the case the stamped portion from the 1/16" filler won't fit through the tube, so one would need to snip that off first before using. I'm feeding 1/16" ER70S-2 in these pics but using what I believe is the 3/32" connector.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I requested one and Jeff said he'd send me one... Haven't seen it yet but mail from the US to Canada is very slow.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
TraditionalToolworks

DavidR8 wrote:I requested one and Jeff said he'd send me one... Haven't seen it yet but mail from the US to Canada is very slow.
These guys at CK Worldwide are standup folks. 8-)

It's why I try to use their products exclusively. :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I wonder if they have one for people who feed filler rod with the right hand. It would need for it to be a mirror image unless the collet switches direction; in that case then it would work.
TraditionalToolworks

Oscar wrote:I wonder if they have one for people who feed filler rod with the right hand. It would need for it to be a mirror image unless the collet switches direction; in that case then it would work.
Actually in the podcast they said it works with either hand, and I just verified it does in fact. :)

I repeat, I know there is gonna be skepticism on this, so anyone that doesn't like the idea should just not think about contacting them. They do not charge and a very noble offer IMO. I do think it will be useful for at least some folks.

If you look in the first pic I posted you can kinda see that there are a series of holes in the ratchet mechanism that secures it to your finger, you can actually adjust it for different sized hands as well, you could move the spring/tube holder to the other side even. Very clever design. ;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

Jeff just emailed me and said "No worries for our friends up north!"

Just earned a customer for life.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

I think it's a good idea. Let's see if the function follows the form.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

That's pretty cool. I just requested one to see how it does. Also about to be teaching a couple MIG/Stick welders how to be TIG welders, so it may come in handy!!

I do love me some CK, even when they aren't giving stuff away.

Here's a quick CK trivia question: Does anyone here know what CK stands for???

I found out somewhat by accident, and curious if it is common knowledge or not. A free EZ Dabr direct from CK to the first person who gets it right!! :lol:

Conley Klepplen
Richard
Website
Spartan

I figured you'd be one of the people to know. Do you have one of their early torches?? That's how I found out.
TraditionalToolworks

LtBadd wrote:Conley Klepplen
Yeah, Jody mentioned on his podcast that he traded an old H&R .22 pistol for his first tig torch and HF start unit from a guy he worked with in a nuclear plant when he started welding, and that it was a Conely & Kleppen. Evidently he dragged it out of the garage and sent a pic to Art Kleppen to jog back his memory...pretty cool story...

Jeff might be his son-in-law.

None the less, I like their product and they sure seem like good folks! :)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan

Spartan wrote:I figured you'd be one of the people to know. Do you have one of their early torches?? That's how I found out.
No but I've used them, most of my hood time over the years has been TIG
Richard
Website
v5cvbb
    Fri May 01, 2020 11:35 pm

Thanks for pictures Alan. I couldn't imagine what it looked like from the discussion. I should have one on the way as well. I think it will be great for those days that my fingers don't work right.
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:Thanks for pictures Alan. I couldn't imagine what it looked like from the discussion. I should have one on the way as well. I think it will be great for those days that my fingers don't work right.
You're most welcome, I hope you find it useful. I tried to disclaim plenty as I know a lot of people will poo-poo this idea and scoff at it. The welding community is a bunch of tough folks. :lol:

I do consider it to be a very noble gesture for CK Worldwide to offer it for free, and it speaks highly of their business practice. I am a loyal customer so I am a bit bias, I like to be clear about that also. ;)

But honestly, me getting this product had nothing to do with any previous CK Worldwide products I buy or use. I sent an email just like everyone else. And it's not like they're going to retire on what I purchase from them, although as a whole they may retire from all of us as a whole. :D
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb

I agree. They are a company worthy of our support. I have 2 of their torches but use generic consumables. Sometimes I do go the budget route.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I also sent a request for the dabr. Got a reply from Jeff...one on the way with hopes it will help me out. Due to a horrific accident, I have lost the last 2 knuckles of my "feeding" hand. I will make a report back. I do use ck torches.
gramps.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

the mail lady's horse was a little quicker today. Just received the dabr and now for the test.
It doesn't quite fit like the one in ttw pictures due to bent appendages but I'm gonna give it a go.
THANK YOU CK WORLDWIDE.
gramps.

I got mine but haven't used it yet...
Richard
Website
Spartan

Got mine today. But moving to a new shop all this week, so haven't struck an arc for days and can't test it out yet. The electricians swear that tomorrow is the day that the 230v service upgrade will be complete. We'll see. :lol:

I emailed but no response yet.
v5cvbb

https://youtu.be/XLMSZ0mugeM

Sorry, I can't figure out the video link button for some reason.

I haven't tried mine yet but I saw this today.
Last edited by v5cvbb on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

v5cvbb wrote:

I haven't tried mine yet but I saw this today.
There. Sorry, but I have to comment on torch angle! :lol:
Last edited by Oscar on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
v5cvbb

Thank you Oscar!
TraditionalToolworks

v5cvbb wrote:Sorry, I can't figure out the video link button for some reason.
Just so you know, when you use the youtube tag here, it only wants the hash after the v=, so just put that tag with nothing else and the video will show.

What's your take on it? Seems to work pretty well for you.

I went to go try it and haven't used it yet, just started feeding filler without it... :oops:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
v5cvbb

I'll look at the YouTube link again. Thanks.

I welded some last night. As I was putting things away I saw the EzDabr in the drawer with my tungsten. I forgot it was there.