A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
CheekyB
    Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:19 pm

First off: I'm new here and not really sure this is the right place for this, but I'm not sure where else to go with it? if you have a better suggestion please suggest!

I recently bought the above mentioned Metabo, started using it, instantly in-love. Unfortunately the love did not last long and about 2' into some plate it seized up, spit smoke ect. ect. ect. took it to the local Metabo repair shop where I also purchased it and they said they would replace it with a new one, as soon as it arrived. and they did, 100% friendly. But they said to make sure I was supplying it enough power, fair enough. I looked into it, My work area has nothing but 20 amp breakers, each outlet box at the wall has its own circuit. I work for a General Contractor that has an electrician on staff, I asked him to check things out just encase and he could not find anything wrong. I also only ran that grinder on a 10g ext cord.

So I took the brand new replacement back to my work, eventually get around to using it to cut out some 1/8 MS plate(about 4' total) and by time I'm done its making all kinds of racket, I take it back to the shop and they say the motor is cooked and it must be my power that's causing the problems..... The shop agreed to replace the motor so no real harm yet I guess other than I'm out about $50+ per linear foot of material I've cut with it and its probably going to be a week or two until I get it back.

So I guess my question is, has anyone else had issues with a 14.5 amp Metabo?
Any suggestions what I can do to improve my power situation? Is there some type of fancy wall outlets I don't know about that I need to have for that kind of amp draw? /shrug
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Welcome. The proper place for a question like this would be the Metal Cutting sub-forum. This forum is primarily for reviewing products you own. :) Sorry I don't know about your grinder issues.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

I don't have your specific grinder, but it sounds suspicious as I run my Metabos on a 20 amp 120v circuit all the time.

Have you tested your ground to make sure it's solid on the circuit and/or neutral feeding back to the power company?

I'm guessing you know that your circuit is 120v, right?

Also, the repair shop must have run the grinder on their circuit to test it, have you tried running it on another known good circuit in your house?
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
CheekyB

Yeah it’s 120. The election checked the ground and everything. I have 3 other 13.2 or .5 amp metabos I run off the same circuits with the same ext cords and have zero problems /shrug. I havent been able to use it enough to try it out at home, it’s currently at the shop awaiting a new motor. Im trying to figure out if there is anything i could improve before i get it back. Thanks for the input.
TraditionalToolworks

CheekyB wrote:Yeah it’s 120. The election checked the ground and everything. I have 3 other 13.2 or .5 amp metabos I run off the same circuits with the same ext cords and have zero problems /shrug. I havent been able to use it enough to try it out at home, it’s currently at the shop awaiting a new motor. Im trying to figure out if there is anything i could improve before i get it back. Thanks for the input.
I think you pretty much answered your question. Something is wrong with the grinder you had/have.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
CheekyB

TraditionalToolworks wrote:
CheekyB wrote:Yeah it’s 120. The election checked the ground and everything. I have 3 other 13.2 or .5 amp metabos I run off the same circuits with the same ext cords and have zero problems /shrug. I havent been able to use it enough to try it out at home, it’s currently at the shop awaiting a new motor. Im trying to figure out if there is anything i could improve before i get it back. Thanks for the input.
I think you pretty much answered your question. Something is wrong with the grinder you had/have.
I guess, It just seems like the odds of getting two lemons in a row are pretty slim, /shrug. Although I do have extremely bad luck....probably shouldn't be using grinders in the first place tbh.

Thanks,
Chris
TraditionalToolworks

CheekyB wrote:I guess, It just seems like the odds of getting two lemons in a row are pretty slim, /shrug. Although I do have extremely bad luck....probably shouldn't be using grinders in the first place tbh.
I thought it was the same grinder you had repaired and it's back in the repair shop again.

I agree 2 different grinders would be very odd indeed. :shock:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
CheekyB

CheekyB wrote:I guess, It just seems like the odds of getting two lemons in a row are pretty slim, /shrug. Although I do have extremely bad luck....probably shouldn't be using grinders in the first place tbh.
I thought it was the same grinder you had repaired and it's back in the repair shop again.

I agree 2 different grinders would be very odd indeed. :shock:
Yeah...hence the forum topic about it now lol. are you running any 14.5 amp models? I would guess all the 14.5 short models are running the same motor. Part of me wonders if they have a manufacturing problem with them? My local shop says they never have issues with Metabos but I also don't think they sell many of the 14.5 models. I bought the only one they had in-stock and when it cooked I had to wait for the replacement because they only keep the one in stock.(it is a big ticket item for a small shop in abq so I sorta get that, but still....)

I did reach out to Metabo, explained the situation and asked if they knew of anything to check for. Hopefully they have some suggestions, I really don't want to part with this grinder.

Chris
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The voltage issue there warning you about, is like low voltage either from line drop from a long cord or running off a maxed out generator. Common scenarios in construction. Sounds like they may have gotten a bad batch of brushes. You need to check the voltage at the grinder plug while the grinder is running. Easiest way is to use a cord splitter so you can measure voltage at the point your plugging in the grinder. Voltage drop should not exceed 10%. So 120v needs to stay above 102v while it’s running. There’s lots of possible reasons for voltage drop, so I’ll hold off on a guess.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
CheekyB

Poland308 wrote:The voltage issue there warning you about, is like low voltage either from line drop from a long cord or running off a maxed out generator. Common scenarios in construction. Sounds like they may have gotten a bad batch of brushes. You need to check the voltage at the grinder plug while the grinder is running. Easiest way is to use a cord splitter so you can measure voltage at the point your plugging in the grinder. Voltage drop should not exceed 10%. So 120v needs to stay above 102v while it’s running. There’s lots of possible reasons for voltage drop, so I’ll hold off on a guess.
Thanks Josh! It seems so obvious after i read that...just checked it at the end of the ext cord, never dropped below 117v under load /shrug
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hey Chris, did ya get a really good deal on the grinder. Sometimes the mfg has refurbs they want to get rid of. Just a thought. A fella out this way has a bunch of "refurbs" and used units for sale "cheap". A acquaintance of mine said "stay the hell away from 'em".
CheekyB

BillE.Dee wrote:hey Chris, did ya get a really good deal on the grinder. Sometimes the mfg has refurbs they want to get rid of. Just a thought. A fella out this way has a bunch of "refurbs" and used units for sale "cheap". A acquaintance of mine said "stay the hell away from 'em".
No Sir, I paid full brick and mortar retail for it at my local shop that is also the authorized metabo service center in my town...and then they replaced it(for free) with a brand new one still in the box that then cooked its self even faster then the first one :shock: :shock: :shock: The owners of the shop have been more than good enough to me in the past that I feel obligated to do my due diligence to see if I have a power problem, buttttttttttt I can't find anything wrong /shrug :?
BillE.Dee

It will be interesting to find out what caused 2 separate machines to go bad. Hard to figure out when you have used other makes on the same circuit.
Keep us posted.
CheekyB

Metabo got back to me, I guess presented with the facts we had to conclude I got two lemons in a row and they offered to ship me a third and a box of cut off wheels for my troubles. Can't really argue with that or a company that stands behind their products. Hopefully third time lucky...or I just sell it NIB ;)
TraditionalToolworks

CheekyB wrote:Metabo got back to me, I guess presented with the facts we had to conclude I got two lemons in a row and they offered to ship me a third and a box of cut off wheels for my troubles. Can't really argue with that or a company that stands behind their products. Hopefully third time lucky...or I just sell it NIB ;)
Who woulda figured that...but I guess they're right. Will be curious if this one is DOA or not for you. :roll:
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
BillE.Dee

No explanation as to why they failed? Just you got the 2 from the lemon patch. I'd take them up on their offer and as it got to my place, I'd be grinding like there is no tomorrow. Who knows, you might become their lead tester...for a fee.
CheekyB

In so many words Metabo basically said if my power readings are what they say they are(and they never doubted them) that the fault must be with the tool in some way but made no assumptions to what exactly failed.

In their defense, as soon as I actually told them I had bought the grinder and had the issues mentioned above they immediately offered a new replacement and were very apologetic.

Chris
Poland308

The problems you described, could also be a symptom of bad brushes. If they were bad and came apart that would cause the noise and motor problems. Due to the high rpm once it fails at that point then it becomes very hard to tell the actual fail point. Plus add in that a major company name like Metabo, it’s easier to just accept a small warranty loss percentage if a few grinders go bad because of a few bad brushes. Also possible that there was an assembly problem, and warranty on the few that broke was cheaper than putting a batch on recall.

Josh
TraditionalToolworks

Poland308 wrote:The problems you described, could also be a symptom of bad brushes. If they were bad and came apart that would cause the noise and motor problems. Due to the high rpm once it fails at that point then it becomes very hard to tell the actual fail point. Plus add in that a major company name like Metabo, it’s easier to just accept a small warranty loss percentage if a few grinders go bad because of a few bad brushes. Also possible that there was an assembly problem, and warranty on the few that broke was cheaper than putting a batch on recall.
Josh,

I agree with everything you say, but 2 bad grinders from Metabo? That just doesn't match the type of product I've bought from them in the past. I just got a Metabo wire wheel that's beautiful. Wasn't cheap, but it looks really nice.

Usually Metabo has pretty good QA in my experience. 2 bad grinders seems a bit odd. Even they had to be scratching their head on that one...
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'm honestly trying to reach for some possible explanation too, one bad grinder sure, no matter the QC, but 2 has to be pretty unlucky.
CheekyB

I honestly didn't go to metabo asking for a new grinder, I went to them asking what I could check or do to figure out what I was doing to cook two of them so fast. When I told them the facts stated above about cord and breaker size, and my voltage readings they offered to make the situation right with me. I offered to ship the one thats currently awaiting repair back to them for analysis or whatever and the guy I've been emailing never responded to that, you can draw your own conclusions from that. I don't disagree at all that replacing a few grinders and giving away some cutoff wheels is going to be cheaper/better press for a company like Metabo Especially depending on the number of units they think could be affected. I'm sure someone there has an equation figured out to tell them if its financially worth to try to brush an issue like this under the rug with freebie's or if they have to issue a full blown recall . TBH, I don't really care, as long as they stand behind their products at the end of the day and work with me to resolve the issues I'm happy enough.

I agree, two bad grinders is very unlucky if that is indeed the issue, Which I have to assume it is at the moment because I can't find any other problems...But...I'm in my 30's and I've had a fake left hip for longer than I've had the real one so a lack of luck is not uncommon around here :shock: Thats actually why I own Metabo's...With mechanical safety clutches...and the low vibration feature, one of my wrists is also screwed and plated back together :shock:

Anyways, the Metabo rep I've been talking to asked to give me a call to chat about tools? I'll let y'all know if he says anything regarding the grinder failures.

Chris
Poland308

Poland308 wrote:The problems you described, could also be a symptom of bad brushes. If they were bad and came apart that would cause the noise and motor problems. Due to the high rpm once it fails at that point then it becomes very hard to tell the actual fail point. Plus add in that a major company name like Metabo, it’s easier to just accept a small warranty loss percentage if a few grinders go bad because of a few bad brushes. Also possible that there was an assembly problem, and warranty on the few that broke was cheaper than putting a batch on recall.
Josh,

I agree with everything you say, but 2 bad grinders from Metabo? That just doesn't match the type of product I've bought from them in the past. I just got a Metabo wire wheel that's beautiful. Wasn't cheap, but it looks really nice.

Usually Metabo has pretty good QA in my experience. 2 bad grinders seems a bit odd. Even they had to be scratching their head on that one...

Less than 7% failure is average for any manufacturer on any product. If your supplier happens to acquire 2 grinders, on the same order, and they were both made on a Monday( hangover day!) then that’s like .5 %.

Josh
Poland308

CheekyB wrote:I honestly didn't go to metabo asking for a new grinder, I went to them asking what I could check or do to figure out what I was doing to cook two of them so fast. When I told them the facts stated above about cord and breaker size, and my voltage readings they offered to make the situation right with me. I offered to ship the one thats currently awaiting repair back to them for analysis or whatever and the guy I've been emailing never responded to that, you can draw your own conclusions from that. I don't disagree at all that replacing a few grinders and giving away some cutoff wheels is going to be cheaper/better press for a company like Metabo Especially depending on the number of units they think could be affected. I'm sure someone there has an equation figured out to tell them if its financially worth to try to brush an issue like this under the rug with freebie's or if they have to issue a full blown recall . TBH, I don't really care, as long as they stand behind their products at the end of the day and work with me to resolve the issues I'm happy enough.

I agree, two bad grinders is very unlucky if that is indeed the issue, Which I have to assume it is at the moment because I can't find any other problems...But...I'm in my 30's and I've had a fake left hip for longer than I've had the real one so a lack of luck is not uncommon around here :shock: Thats actually why I own Metabo's...With mechanical safety clutches...and the low vibration feature, one of my wrists is also screwed and plated back together :shock:

Anyways, the Metabo rep I've been talking to asked to give me a call to chat about tools? I'll let y'all know if he says anything regarding the grinder failures.

Chris
Amen good practice from a solid manufacturer!

Josh
CheekyB

New grinder showed up yesterday in the mail. I cut about 3' of 1/8" plate with it just now with the volt meter plugged in just encase. He sent me the DS version with the break so maybe not exactly apples to apples but it seems to be working fine. Hope I didn't just jinx my a self....sent me a box of ceramic cut of wheels too, not sure about the price difference between them and the original slicer wheels but they seem fast :D

Chris
BillE.Dee

Glad to hear that you are up and grinding, Chris. If you don't mind, can you keep us posted IF you should hear back from them about the machine failures and also about price diff in the machines.