A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'm not sure how interested people are, but I threw a couple packs with some other stuff to try them out as they're priced very well for sealed 7018 but I couldn't find any unbiased mention as to the actual electrode quality and burn characteristics.

They come in 4lb corrugated plastic boxes which are then vacuum sealed with a thick plastic wrapping and the combo seems to protect them very well, they came out pristine and undamaged while the two 10lb cans of Lincoln Excalibur in the same box took a beating from UPS, the wrapping didn't suffer any damage during shipping either as there was quite a noticeable vacuum hiss when I cut it. As you can see on the package they're 7018-1 H4 and rated as moisture resistant, in fact they're rated for a full 12 hours outside of an oven after opening. The suggested amp range is 110-140 amps which is the range 99% of welder's will run a 1/8 7018 in, though some brands allow a larger range.
20200806_211915.jpg
20200806_211915.jpg (40.28 KiB) Viewed 1312 times

I ran about 2 pounds back to back with some Lincoln Excalibur 7018, and I have to say I wasn't disappointed at all, they seem to have a graphite coating which makes starts fantastic even without hot start, flux seems durable and restarts were not particularly onerous for 7018, the ease of slag removal while not quite on par with excalibur rods was great and if it didn't come off on it's own then a simply a few light taps with a spare coupon were sufficient. Very little persistent spatter within it's given range as well.

I'd actually rank it as easily my second favorite 7018 I've ever used only slightly behind Lincoln Excalibur rods, I'm not sure how many people actually care about rod reviews, but if anyone wants I can update this with more pictures and details and also make a review on Excalibur rods if anyone is actually still on the fence about them.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I have Esab Atom Arc E7018 in 3/32 and I think it runs well. 9/10 compared to Excalibur. Feel free to send me some to compare if you would like a 2nd opinion, from the world's most advanced hobbyist (kinda like the smartest dumb person) . :lol:
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Oscar wrote:I have Esab Atom Arc E7018 in 3/32 and I think it runs well. 9/10 compared to Excalibur. Feel free to send me some to compare if you would like a 2nd opinion, from the world's most advanced hobbyist (kinda like the smartest dumb person) . :lol:
It's different I believe from Atom Arc which is why I was fairly skeptical, I wasn't sure if it would be a Lincoln Excalibur 7018 vs Lincoln 7018AC type situation, but I was pretty impressed, I'd definitely like to compare them to the Atom Arc line to see what differences if any there are. I paid $12 for a 4lb pack from Baker's Gas and a 24lb case of 6 goes for $70, so if you don't have a rod oven they're definitely an economical option compared to ordering 10lb cans and they'll store better than a 50lb spam can which is why I wanted to try them.

I have 20 left which is a little over a 1 1/2 pounds I believe, if I could find an economical way to ship them I'd drop them in the mail for you in exchange for some of your Atom Arc
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Sure, tell me how much of the 3/32" atom arc you want and your address in a PM and I'll send them off