A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

This is similar to the Hel-Hooks, it's a set of hangers that attaches to the top of the gas cylinder, but it offers a couple advantages over the Hel-Hooks.

This version has 4 hooks on it, similar to the Hel-Hooks, but it also has 2 torch hangers, so you can hang 2 torches or a torch and a slag hammer, etc...it also includes a cable with a glove clip on it, that's kind of handy also.

It attaches to the cylinder with a 3 point attach, and a thumbscrew to secure the 3-point.

The steel is plated so not ideal to weld like the Hel-Hooks, but the torch hangers and glove clamp offer a couple advantages, IMO. Cost is $27.30 w/shipping at Amazon.

Linky Pic to Amazon

Collector of old Iron!

Alan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I like it
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Definitely looks handy to have, might have to pick some up. Surprised they would send a weldable kit with plated parts, though. That's odd.

But what's with your uncircumcised torch, there??? ;)
TraditionalToolworks

Spartan wrote:Definitely looks handy to have, might have to pick some up. Surprised they would send a weldable kit with plated parts, though. That's odd.
No, it's not intended to be welded, AFAIK, that's why they plate it.

The steel version of the Hel-Hooks is intended to weld, but it's about the same price and only has 4 hooks.
Spartan wrote:But what's with your uncircumcised torch, there??? ;)
That's my Wuhan 26 WP-26F, it's a spare I just hung there. I have 3 torches, 2 x CK Worldwide 17s and the Wuhan 26.

BTW, does anyone know if you can buy the short gas hose with a 5/8-11 (CGA 580) like Miller uses? My Primeweld uses the same, but I'd like to convert one of my quick disconnect gas hoses to a CGA-580 on the front of the machine so I could use my CK 25'. I think I can just swap the entire dinse but I'd rather have 2 CKs for my Primeweld.

Smokey, if you see this thread, that's my bottle I own/exchange in the bottom pic.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad
    Mon May 18, 2020 11:20 am

Is that considered a safe practice? Handing the torch on a pressurized metal cylinder.
TraditionalToolworks

JustTheDad wrote:Is that considered a safe practice? Handing the torch on a pressurized metal cylinder.
I don't see why not. I don't use it there, just hang it there to store. I would think a bigger problem is if a tank is located on your welding cart and is not insulated from the welder, or worse if the tank is attached to some type of mobile welding table and could ground to the work and gets an arc strike. I have heard that many gas vendors will not fill a bottle that has been arc'd. My bottle will be mounted on my welding cart, insulated from the welder, if that even matters. In theory the cart should never be grounded.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad

You obviously realized I meant hanging, not handing.

I have been hanging the torches on a holder on the table, so if anyone ever stepped on the pedal by accident, it could only arc to the holder/table, which is attached to the ground clamp. Not sure it would even do that though, given the tungsten is pretty far from any metal. That's not the case with the product pictures. We haven't had any accidental arcs yet, but arcing to the bottle just seemed like a bad idea. I'll take a look at the cart. The bottle isn't insulated from it. The welder and cart are on the opposite side of the welding curtains right now, but maybe I'll insulate the bottle anyway. Thanks for the idea.
TraditionalToolworks

JustTheDad wrote:You obviously realized I meant hanging, not handing.

I have been hanging the torches on a holder on the table, so if anyone ever stepped on the pedal by accident, it could only arc to the holder/table, which is attached to the ground clamp. Not sure it would even do that though, given the tungsten is pretty far from any metal. That's not the case with the product pictures. We haven't had any accidental arcs yet, but arcing to the bottle just seemed like a bad idea. I'll take a look at the cart. The bottle isn't insulated from it. The welder and cart are on the opposite side of the welding curtains right now, but maybe I'll insulate the bottle anyway. Thanks for the idea.
Todd,

I'm no expert, but I will say this. The ground goes from the machine to the work, or as many do and I do, the table. There is actually no way for the tungsten to arc on the bottle if it's on the cart, even if it was touching metal, because the cart should never be grounded to the clamp, but let's say you mistakenly clamped the ground to the valve or something like that, that could potentially be a problem. In this case I don't see how the tungsten would arc to the bottle even if it was grounded, the tungsten is isolated from the bottle entirely with the way the holder is setup. That also goes for the magnetic holder I use on my table, it keeps the tungsten away from the table so in the case as you point out, someone steps on the pedal. My pedal is under my table, so I have to physically be sitting with my foot on it.

EDIT: I just realized that if the cart was touching the metal table, and the bottle wasn't insulated, and the live torch while the pedal is pushed is close to the bottle, there could be a chance of arcing the bottle. I think the paint could possibly be an insulator. And also if pigs could fly... :D

Now let's say the bottle was stored on a mobile welding table, that could present more issues as the work/table is grounded to the machine, so there would be more chance to arc the bottle than if it's stored on the cart itself.

I should add, in this picture you commented on, the torch is not even connected to the welder, it's just a 2nd torch being stored on the hook.;)
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
JustTheDad

All very reasonable. We do put the ground clamp on the table, and we use a magnetic holder too, but I don't trust that it's insulated from the table. Magnets are conductive after all. I'm used to worrying about 300 to 550V from the tube amps I've built, not 20 or 30, so my perspective is likely off.
TraditionalToolworks

JustTheDad wrote:All very reasonable. We do put the ground clamp on the table, and we use a magnetic holder too, but I don't trust that it's insulated from the table. Magnets are conductive after all. I'm used to worrying about 300 to 550V from the tube amps I've built, not 20 or 30, so my perspective is likely off.
Todd,

I use one of those magnetic holders and it completely isolates the tungsten, even when the tungsten is sticking out, ready to weld. They sure do use some strong magnets on those holders, I will say that...I think mine is plated steel, but with the torch in the holder the tungsten can't touch anything. That is to say that even if I was to step on the pedal the tungsten can't possibly arc, AFAIK.

Now, leaving the torch on the table, a much different story.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

You could probably spray the hanger itself with a rubberized coating as IF the bottle got grounded somehow, and IF the pedal was stepped on while the torch was hanging or being hung up, the odds of it arcing to the hanger and through it to the bottle are a lot higher than it jumping directly from tungsten to bottle.

Personally, I wouldn't be worried about it, even if the bottle is on a welding cart with the welder it would take willful negligence to create a situation where it arced to the bottle. Also remember Amps=voltage divided by resistance unless limited by the power source, which is why you thankfully can't strike an arc on your own body if you ground yourself. But this means because welding voltage is so low you have to have a point of clean steel to steel contact for anything to arc, you can't strike an arc on the bottle because you're in a muddy field with the ground clamp laying in the dirt 5 foot away, it can't travel from your welding table through 10 feet of wet concrete until it reaches the bottle. or even through unbroken paint.
TraditionalToolworks

sbaker,

I agree with all your points, and don't think there is a very high chance of it arcing the bottle, that's dependent on the pedal being pressed. Primarily the hangers on the bottle will be used for storage when the welder is not in use.

When it is in use the torch will be in my holder on my table, if I'm not at the table I'm most likely going to be welding with stick. Probably not a 100% accurate statement, but I'm guessing true for the most part.

I have seen these in the past and pondered them, but cj got me to consider one and as I plod along on my cart I thought it was an economical way to having to weld hangers on the sides and front of the cart. This will hold my ground, stinger, torches, gloves, et al.
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

You guys worry way too much. Tens of thousands of welders have been hanging TIG torches on millions of cylinders for nearly 8 decades.

Everything will be fine ;)