A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I've been in the market for a new autodark helmet for a while. My current helmet, an Esab Origo-Tech is circa 2004. It been ok but I've really struggled trying to see the puddle while learning to TIG because it's just not very clear. New protective lenses helped a bit.

There's a tremendous range of choices from low-end no-name to the Optrel Crystal 2.0 at the top end. I'm just a hobbyist in his garage trying to stick metal together for home projects so I cannot justify the $600 CDN for an Optrel nor did I want to go low end.

I settled on the Esab Savage A40 after trying it at my LWS. The head gear is not any different from my existing Esab, basically a headband with an adjustable strap over the top. It does have a pivoting piece at the back of the headband where the ratcheting adjust is which helps it conform to my headshape.

I was blown away by the clarity and lack of tint to the lens compared to my old helmet.
This is my old Esab Origo-Tech

The is the Savage A40

I’m very happy with my choice. For $155 CDN it’s outstanding value in my rookie opinion.
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225

Excellent, we expect to see a 2x increase in weld performance! :lol: :lol:

But seriously you'll like having the latest tech, it is amazing how far the lens has come.
Richard
Website
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

LtBadd wrote:Excellent, we expect to see a 2x increase in weld performance! :lol: :lol:

But seriously you'll like having the latest tech, it is amazing how far the lens has come.
Indeed!
I was and still am pretty amazed by the difference.
I’m anxious to try TIG now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

That nauseating neon green tint seems to be an artifact of early 2000s era helmets, the speedglas 9100 at work has the exact same shade of green. I'm really impressed at how bright and true to color that passive shade on the A40 is, especially for the price.
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

I have one that i have used for about a year now. It is holding up well & I like it.