A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
kman
    Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:21 pm

I am looking for a dedicated AC/DC TIG welder for thin gauge carbon, stainless and aluminum. Welding is a hobby for me. I am not doing production welding. I am currently using a Lincoln MP210 and love it. It has performed well over the past two years.

Most of my welding is 3/16" and 1/4" stainless and carbon plate. My joints are lap joints, butt welds and fillet welds in a flat. Still have to practice my out of position welds. I work for a fabrication shop with access to a lot of drop material, most of which is plate and not light gauge sheet metal. (I have an office job, I am not a qualified welder.) I would like to be able to weld aluminum and expand my capabilities.

The AHP Alpha TIG is in my price range along with the Prime Weld TIG225X. Both of these appear to get very good reviews however I want to purchase a welder which is backed with a good warranty and a reputable manufacturer.

Upon my research over the past three weeks it appears AHP has made some improvements from the Alpha TIG 200 to the Alpha TIG201XD. I have also seen more reviews with the Alpha TIG opposed to the Prime Weld on YouTube. I have focused my video reviews with, what I consider, more reputable persons, i.e. 'The Fabrication Series', 'Weld.com' and 'Welding Tips and Tricks'. My personal opinion, these are individuals who have a lot of professional experience and knowledge.

Yes, I have considered the Everlast PowerTIG 200DV but, I do not foresee the need for a water-cooled torch. The water cooled torch makes it a deal breaker for me. I would either have to purchase a water cooler or purchase a CK 17-style air cooled torch along with the connection fittings. I can afford the welder but, the welder plus upgrades put me in a price range that is too high for the work I perform at home.

I am looking for personal opinions from individuals who may have experience with either the Alpha TIG or the Prime Weld.

I welcome any recommendations for any other welding machines.
RacerRon
    Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:35 pm

I purchased the Primeweld this spring and have no complaints or regrets. So far, I have run through 2.5 tanks of argon and have had some success on aluminum. Unfortunately , about the time I start getting cocky and think "I've got this" , I end up making a mess . I have found that once you get a handle on aluminum , DC mild and stainless tig are almost easy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

At those price points, it seems you can't go wrong with the Primeweld. I don't know how good the low-end is on it, and if I hadn't just ordered a bunch of custom made MIG guns I would have bought a Primeweld tig just for the hell of it to try it out and then throw it in the dumpster! jk would'nt have thrown it out. :lol:
kman
    Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:21 pm

My PrimeWeld arrived late last week. So far I am impressed. I am enjoying the HF start. Over the weekend I worked in DC only finishing up some stainless welds on a personal project. I hope to venture out later this week with aluminum and some pulse settings. The CK 17 torch is SWEET!!!! I have already set it up with my Furick #8 clear cup.

I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Nice. Now get a bigger TIG torch and let 'er rip on some aluminum. (You'll wear out the 17 torch on high amperage AC quite fast :))
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Oscar wrote: Now get a bigger TIG torch and let 'er rip on some aluminum. (You'll wear out the 17 torch on high amperage AC quite fast :))
I have run a 17 for a decade on aluminum, constantly at 185 amps. I have yet to have one wear out. It does get hot, but it has yet to fail.

True, I was thinking of my old crappy 17 torch from my Eastwood TIG and not the CK that he has. The cheap cables will rot out fast with the heat of AC welding. The CK 17 should hold up well.