A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Greetings Guys,
New member here from AK. I recently purchased an Everlast iMig-230i and wanted to start a thread with my thoughts and impressions about the machine.

The experience ordering/shipping/unboxing was great. Everlast was responsive by phone and email. Their shipping price to Alaska was reasonable and the unit arrived in great shape a few days after ordering. Overall quality is solid. Cords and gun are good. I don't love the tiny dials, but they function just fine and seem solid.

I've run both 3/64 4043 and 5356 through the factory gun with a teflon liner and U rollers. It is a four roller machine, with all driving, and one tension adjustment balanced between the top smooth rollers. The tips I have are a little small for the 3/64 and grab the wire when they get too hot. When the wire sticks the aluminum instantly burns back and fuses to the contact tip, but even with the 4043 wire the drive rollers spin on the wire without buckling or creating a rats nest. I'm able to run the tension quite low with the 4 U-rollers and get plenty of push through the 10' lead.

I ordered and just installed the HTP 8' gun from the ProPulse 220 to run aluminum and use the factory gun for steel. I really like the propulse gun larger gas nozzle and components and compact handle. I did notice the graphite liner has a bit more resistance at the gun/neck curve than the Everlast/teflon liner.

I don't love the spool/feeder alignment, but it hasn't caused feed issues so far with the aluminum. The feeder sits a little higher in the machine and the 12" spools roll wire off at an angle to the drive rolls. I have a couple ideas to improve this if needed.

The burn back adjustment is very handy. I was able to dial it just right for the aluminum wire.

I haven't done much aluminum wire feed welding and am more familiar with tig. So far I'm very pleased with the results. A double pulse machine is in the future, but I wanted to start with something more affordable and simply. It took a little time to figure out the spray transfer settings since I've really only done short circuit on steel. Now that I have a few days with that I'm chasing down some shielding gas to spray transfer on steel. Love the smooth arc and speed.

More impressions later. Happy holidays!
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1098.jpeg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
IMG_1109.jpeg
IMG_1109.jpeg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
IMG_1110.jpeg
IMG_1110.jpeg (104.73 KiB) Viewed 4573 times
Attachments