A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Buster21
    Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, I am looking for advice and opinions about buying a little tig set to use in my workshop at home, I have looked at a few, some of which I have heard of the brand, 1 brand that keeps cropping up is called Adneli, has anyone have any experience of using these machines, I have never heard of this particular brand, so anyone who has heard of this brand or owns one, any opinions would be greatly appreciated, many thanks Buster21
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

Letting folks know what country you are in may help if you are comfortable with disclosing that information.

I personally have a Miller maxstar 150STL, which means i cannot weld aluminum. That being said I love it and it allowed me to get my foot in the door, and to be honest not having aluminum capabilities hasn't slowed me down. At some point I will want to expand however and that will cost additional finances. Something to keep in mind.

Might also help if you mention your budget and what materials you mainly want to focus on if any.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Buster21 wrote:Hi everyone, 1 brand that keeps cropping up is called Adneli, has anyone have any experience of using these machines, .......
going by their website and utube videos i would avoid them.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm with tweake on this one.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It appears to be another "branded welder from the same source".

If you provided your budget and requirements, it would be more helpful to make some recommendations.

Also bear in mind, many on this forum are either working pros, serious hobbyists, or crotchety old men who don't like inexpensive products. So the reply you get may be a bit acerbic based upon their "criteria". You should buy what your criteria dictates and budget allows. For DC TIG, it is nearly impossible to buy a machine that can't weld decently enough to get the job done.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

cj737 wrote:Also bear in mind, many on this forum are either working pros, serious hobbyists, or crotchety old men who don't like inexpensive products. So the reply you get may be a bit acerbic based upon their "criteria". .
Don't you mean "... who don't like expensive products."? Either way, that is THE quote for 2021! Love it! :)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Oscar wrote:
cj737 wrote:Also bear in mind, many on this forum are either working pros, serious hobbyists, or crotchety old men who don't like inexpensive products. So the reply you get may be a bit acerbic based upon their "criteria". .
Don't you mean "... who don't like expensive products."? Either way, that is THE quote for 2021! Love it! :)
No, you missed the point. :oops:

There are many that dismiss the latest entries of these lower cost, AC/DC TIG units from Asia. Sure, they aren't "pro quality" or "production level" machines, but for 99% of what a hobbyist, side-hustler does, they'd likely pay for themselves in 2 jobs.

I buy Miller because I keep my stuff for a long time and local warranty centers are available to me. And I make/save money with them. If I EVER had to do it over again, I'd 90% likely buy a PrimeWeld (or equivalent) and replace it every 37 months. For the money, I could likely do everything I need with it and spend the other $3k on another type of machine (or 2, or 3).

I don't dismiss the practicality of buying an "import" for weekenders. I think it is a great way to enter the hobby and get stuff done. :)
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

cj737 wrote: No, you missed the point. :oops:

There are many that dismiss the latest entries of these lower cost, AC/DC TIG units from Asia. Sure, they aren't "pro quality" or "production level" machines, but for 99% of what a hobbyist, side-hustler does, they'd likely pay for themselves in 2 jobs.

I buy Miller because I keep my stuff for a long time and local warranty centers are available to me. And I make/save money with them. If I EVER had to do it over again, I'd 90% likely buy a PrimeWeld (or equivalent) and replace it every 37 months. For the money, I could likely do everything I need with it and spend the other $3k on another type of machine (or 2, or 3).

I don't dismiss the practicality of buying an "import" for weekenders. I think it is a great way to enter the hobby and get stuff done. :)
my welders are cheap. i can get pro models for double the price and up.
however that brand that he was looking at is cheaper and nastier than what i have. it looks to be one step up from fake welders.
tweak it until it breaks
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

cj737 wrote:

I agree. The only reason I bought a Miller was because my neighbor/mentor gave me a great deal including material, a 125cf tank and grinders, blah blah..

If I were to do it again, I'd go the AHP/primeweld route too and grab that AC for less than 1k.
xland
    Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 pm

If you can buy an "asian" AC/DC TIG unit with pulse,
that has some sort of technical support and repair manuals available, it can be a good buy.
Leads are usually a bit on the thin side, a lot of folks upgrade the AC cable into the machine with decent 15 AMP(240VAC) cable.
MIne was OK.

Here in Australia one of the best options is welders from a local supplier in Sydney called TOKEN TOOLS.
Pete (the owner) has a real front shop and can repair his welders and most others.
And get this....5 year warranty.....
Yes thats got to be worth something.

The Token Welders may be Asian clones (mine is pretty well a copy of a Lincoln Square Wave 200),
but as you can get parts and repairs locally, plus the 5 year warranty, it is a good buy.
They sell here for the same price as an Everlast Pulse TIG
s-l1600 (64).jpg
s-l1600 (64).jpg (76.93 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
So mine is a TOKEN TOOLS ACDC 200, i actually bought it with a fault for under $100 AUD from an electrician
who tried to fix it but missed a couple of simple primary tests.

I am now trying to repair its big brother the ALUPULSE 200D Digital unit.
alupulse 200D.jpg
alupulse 200D.jpg (61.55 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
Bought this guy for $300, its still trying to fight me but i am getting there.

One advantage of Asian machines is the electronic components in them are cheap to replace,
eg the IGBTs in my unit are $10 each (just as well already blown 6.......)
In a Miller/Lincoln they would be more like $150 USD IGBT modules, would normally blow in pairs so $300 USD each time....
To expensive for an amatueur like me.

Going to start another thread on repairing Asian Inverter Welders, BTW i am a complete novice and hoping to get some useful comments so guys like me can understand these machines better

regards
X

PS these units have awesome fans in them
Attachments
s-l1600 (65).jpg
s-l1600 (65).jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 12036 times
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

If you've already killed 6 igbts maybe you should stick a scope on the gates and see if you're not getting a transient going negative there when it is switching off. In my experience with mosfets and igbts, they are very robust unless you allow the gates to go negative. Maybe some proper reversed diodes added in would fix that. It would be easy enough to diagnose.
xland
    Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:36 pm

BugHunter wrote:If you've already killed 6 igbts maybe you should stick a scope on the gates and see if you're not getting a transient going negative there when it is switching off. In my experience with mosfets and igbts, they are very robust unless you allow the gates to go negative. Maybe some proper reversed diodes added in would fix that. It would be easy enough to diagnose.
Yes Bug seems u r correct,
it came with 2 igbt blown, replaced those 2 and all gate resistors, then the other pair went but that was my fault (short to heatsink on secondary inverter board). after that i replaced both rectifier bridges,

Seemed ok, welded various material AC/DC with and without pulse up to 100 amps, all good for 30 mins solid welding.

Next time i turned welder on 2 igbts went immediately(eg threw rcd),
so your idea sounds right, gate goes negetive on turn off. next time u turn it on, no go.

Have tested the diodes to each igbt, might just replace them all regardless. i think they are 600V, maybe i should go 1000V
like the other components

first stage board below
IMG_0577.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 11535 times

details of igbts on first stage, the diodes are the reverse polarity ones i want to upgrade and replace

regards
xland
Attachments
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

cj737 wrote:No, you missed the point. :oops:

I think maybe you missed the point. us crotchety old men hate to see people waste money, which is the case with many of these Asian units. What Miller welders do you have?
Multimatic 255