A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
    Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:58 am

I am shopping for a new AC/DC tig machine. I am still in the research process. Does anyone have any experience with the Lincoln Aspect 230 AC/DC? Looks like it has a lot of nice features. I can't find many reviews. I am really concerned with reliability. I will be taking this on job sites where it may get roughed up a bit (just a little)
torskk
    Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:05 am

Heres my opinion.

Awesome machine that is of a modern design and manufactured in Italy.

I did purchase the HTP Invertig 221 before trying the Aspect, it too is
manufactured in Italy and is also a top quality product.

The only reason I returned the HTP was someone let me work with the Aspect
for a few days. The features are very similar but the Aspect, being a more modern
design (which by the way, takes nothing away from the HTP machine as it has top
of the line components inside and out. Two reasons I let the HTP go.

1. I did not like the digital read out as it cannot spell out the function it is on and one
needs to constantly go to the guide for reminders of what these characters mean.

2. The HTP Invertig 221 does not have the ability to manage EN and EP or change
waveforms, the Aspect does. Even the Miller Dynasty machines do not have EN-EP
adjustments until step up to the 280 and above, they do have the wave forms though.

However, HTP does have this feature on the Invertig 313 and 400 which are on a different
budget altogether, 313 $5k wo water cooler, $6k with. 400, $7k comes with watercooler.

The Aspect has a beautiful and easy to comprehend interface, very simple to operate and
understand.I love the arc on both machines but the EN/EP adjustment, multiple waveforms.
Both Lincoln and HTP machines shipped with amazing documentation, HTP's is a full 4-5
color printed light card stock manual with very clear instructions and graphics. The Lincoln
shipped with the Black and white laser printed manual with full color quick start guide that
covers the basics and more of the Lincoln Aspect 230

If you made either of the purchases, you would be very happy I am sure.

One really nice thing about Jeff Nolan at HTP is that you will call the company and get Jeff
on the phone taking care of you, as well as his awesome staff. He also has a policy, return
within 90 days if you are unhappy with the machine and you will get refunded, minus
restocking and of course the cost of shipping and loss insurance. I am currently waiting on Jeff
restocking the Pro Pulse™ 220 MTS—a multi-process machine capable of MIG, synergic MIG,
synergic pulsed MIG, DC TIG, and Stick.

I saw a guy on here that must be a big fan of HTP, he has a list of HTP equipment the length
of your arm, I think that says something right there for HTP! Ill need to chat with him if I can
about the 220MTS.

Good luck with whatever choice you make sir, you cannot go wrong with any of these machines
I have mentioned.

Cheers

Torskk

Thanks very much for your time and the well thought out reply. I have placed an order for the Aspect 230 and will give my review/opinion...for what its worth.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

torskk,

the only incorrect info is this part:

"The HTP Invertig 221 does not have the ability to manage EN and EP"

The 221 indeed has EN and EP independent amplitude adjustment. ;)

I've had my new Lincoln, Aspect 230 AC/DC for about a month or so. I have not been able to spend as much time as I would have liked using it. I have had it on two jobs, using it in stick mode only. It welds great! One of the main features that I needed was multi-voltage input capabilities. The first job had 480V available and second had 208V. Both jobs required 1/8" 7018 rod. I couldn't tell the difference between the two. The machine performed perfectly on both jobs. I ran the machine at home on 120V. and it did just as well on that voltage too!

I was a little nervous about ordering this machine. There is a definite lack of reviews, and I was concerned that Lincoln may be trying to compete with the many...so many, low priced TIG machines out there. I asked that exact question to my salesman. He said their main goal was to compete with the Miller Dynasty and the HTP Invertig. that made me feel a "little" better, and then I was doing work for a company that built cryogenic equipment and saw that they had two of these machines as their primary welders.

I bought the K4341-1 air cooled kit. It comes with a Lincoln, 26 series flex head torch, pedal, hose, a Harris regulator, ground wire/clamp, and some consumable. NO Electrode Holder or Wire!! I must of read the specs a million times and still missed that fact. These are all high quality materials!

I was a bit nervous about how much of a learning curve there would be. It seems like a lot of information when you are reading the manual. But once you get the machine out and running, it's not bad at all. The manual is pretty well put together.

A couple things that I don't particularly like... One, is the LED color on the display is white. When you are in the sun, it's a little hard to read. Had to just shade it in order to be sure of what I was seeing. In the shop, It's great. (You can adjust it from bright to Dim easily)
The second, is the TIG Hose that it comes with is Really stiff...Like welding with a fire hose attached to the torch.

The one complaint That I have read on other reviews is that the cooling fan is SUPER Loud! It's not that bad...It sounds like a welder to me. It is quieter than my transformer machine, which I never thought was that loud either. I guess I expect some noise from my tools. In my opinion, It is not anything to be concerned with.

I have only done limited TIG on steel. Not enough to write a meaningful review. I will revisit when I can put in some quality working time.

Did some more work today using 6010, 6011, 7024. All welded like a champ! So far very happy with this machine.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I'm surprised I don't see more about it. On paper it beats the dynasty in specs and for less money.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

sbaker56 wrote:I'm surprised I don't see more about it. On paper it beats the dynasty in specs and for less money.
Not even close. Start looking at duty cycle versus output amperage and while I won't say it isn't a great deal for the price, if you are looking for 100% duty cycle, it isn't even a close contest.

That is not to say it isn't a great machine. I don't have any doubt it will do everything a Dynasty Will except for run continuously.
Lincoln and Miller run pretty much hand-in-hand with Futures and capacity versus dollars. It's interesting but they really don't have a lot of competing machines if you get right down to it. Somehow they both hit different sets of needs. But neither one is out of line price wise versus what you get. Not to say they're not both expensive, but, go find another machine that delivers what they do for the money and you're going to be looking a while.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

I couldn't find the 100% duty cycle for the Dynasty 210 DX listed anywhere, only that at a full 210 amps the duty cycle is 60%. As compared to 60% at 190 amps for the Lincoln Aspect and 35% when maxed out 20 amps higher than the dynasty is capable of. In my person experience if I was running maxed at 210 amps enough to even approach 60% it'd more or likely be because I desperately could've used another 20-30 amps. So while I agree the Dynasty does have the edge in duty cycle, I do think the extra 20 amps on the Aspect does a pretty good job of balancing things out.

All that was assuming you meant the Dynasty 210 DX and not the Dynasty 280 DX, because yes the 280 absolutely destroys the aspect 230.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

sbaker56 wrote:I couldn't find the 100% duty cycle for the Dynasty 210 DX listed anywhere, only that at a full 210 amps the duty cycle is 60%. As compared to 60% at 190 amps for the Lincoln Aspect and 35% when maxed out 20 amps higher than the dynasty is capable of. In my person experience if I was running maxed at 210 amps enough to even approach 60% it'd more or likely be because I desperately could've used another 20-30 amps. So while I agree the Dynasty does have the edge in duty cycle, I do think the extra 20 amps on the Aspect does a pretty good job of balancing things out.

All that was assuming you meant the Dynasty 210 DX and not the Dynasty 280 DX, because yes the 280 absolutely destroys the aspect 230.
Who has a Dynasty 210 to do a duty cycle torture test like I did with my HTP 221? :D I'm curious just how long it would go before it shuts off the arc. 6 minutes straight at 210 amps will smoke your gloves if you inadvertently hold the torch too close to the head.

Shatnerwelds, do a duty cycle torture test. :)
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

I just installed planing boards on a 24 ft toon. So about 80' at 225 amps. Only stopping to grab rods and reposition. Didn't phase the 280. Really a spool gun job but they pay me to tig it.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.

After using this machine for a few months now, and doing a bunch of different types of jobs with it, I have have to say I really like it a lot. It is a very capable machine, very easy to navigate, light weight, and comes standard with features that I would have had to pay extra for from different brands. I am not a "Red or Blue" guy. I just bought what I thought was going to be the most affordable, professional grade machine that fit my budget. This machine has done all that I have needed it to do and done it very well. I have done a lot of stick, using a bunch of different rods, at a bunch of different supply voltages. I have used it on steel and aluminum tig jobs both in the shop and on the road. I am really happy with my decision to buy this machine.

I hope this helps anyone looking at this machine and wondering if this machine is worth the "risk". That was how I looked at because there was no reviews anywhere.

I really like it, and I believe it's a great value for the money.

My only advise for someone on the fence about spending what seems to be a lot of money on a machine...
Just do it! Get a machine that you know is of high quality.
The features and capabilities of a high quality machine will help push you into higher level work and you will be able to make it up by getting jobs that you wouldn't be able to handle with a lower quality machine.

I forgot to mention..
The first this I did after buying this machine was, replace the hose!!
I bought a CK Model # 46V28RSF = 12.5 ft. and a 46V30RSF = 25 ft.

Thanks for your time.