A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
AlDiablo
    Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:54 pm

I am a novice hobby welder that is currently using a P&H stick welder.
I guess this is a two part question.

1. Is it better for learning welding to stick to my current machine and perfecting it the best I can?

OR

2. Buying a multiprocess welder and continuing on with that? What would be a good machine (.25” steel, .0625 aluminum & stainless are my intended materials).

Ultimately. I want to learn both mig and tig (because they interest me, like music does for some people) so eventually I will get another machine but is it necessary to become a good welder? One of my friends thought I was kind of needlessly learning the hard way which may not be better.

Does anyone have any experience on this? What are your thoughts on it??
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

There is a huge benefit to learning to Stick weld FIRST. IT Teaches torch/hand control, learning to read the puddle, body position, joint configuration (and how to properly weld it). But…

Any TIG or MIG machine can also be used to Stick weld. As can a multi-process box.

To weld aluminum, I prefer TIG but that costs more. A MIG box can weld aluminum typically via a Spool gun.

Most multiprocess boxes that are less than $3k don’t offer as many features as the upper end MP units or better TIG/MIG boxes.

If it were me… I’d look seriously at the PrimeWeld 225 box. If you have the budget maybe the 350. These are TIG/Stick boxes.

Really good MP units are: Lincoln MP210, Miller MultiMatic 215/220/255 and HTP has just announced their unit (haven’t seen pricing on it).

MIG has its place for hobby welding and structural, but I find TIG and Stick more versatile.
AlDiablo

Cj737, thanks for the input. I think I will stay with the machine I have now and when I want to start trying my hand at TIG, I will add a machine then.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Also understand, any MP machine that does AC will be a good deal more expensive than a DC only MP unit.
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

cj737 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:55 pm Any TIG or MIG machine can also be used to Stick weld.
I assume that was an unintended statement - it applies to TIG but not to MIG.

Jack
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

AlDiablo wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:42 pm Cj737, thanks for the input. I think I will stay with the machine I have now and when I want to start trying my hand at TIG, I will add a machine then.
good move.
once your reasonable with stick, then get an acdc tig machine.
tweak it until it breaks
AlDiablo

Thanks for the input guys. My hat is off to everyone that gets the job (weld) done and can make it look so nice.