A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products

There's been some discussion of Speedglas helmets on another thread. Let's talk about them specifically for a bit.

After a couple of good quality passive helmets and a <$100 AD from the #2 LWS, I finally bought a Miller Digital Pro Hobby. I stuffed some 1.5 cheaters in it and I love it. It's a great helmet. But I've only really used it extensively for SMAW and GMAW. I've only got about 15 minutes of GTAW time on it.

Some folks on this forum have given me the impression that Miller Digitals aren't that good for TIG and that I should upgrade. So far, it seems OK for TIG, but I certainly don't have enough time to draw any solid conclusions. And I haven't done any really low-amp starts.

What say you, my arcing friends? Is the Miller good enough to continue learning with, or will it cripple my education and doom me to fail? :)

And, given all the raves about Speedglas -- are they really that good? I'd love to hear from folks who are actually using them before I spend money for one that could otherwise go for a Strong Hand FixturePoint table.

All info appreciated. TIA.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
pez
  • pez
    Sat May 09, 2015 3:31 am

With the heavy welding at work in some unpleasant locations all the guys now run speedglas with adflo. Bloody tough bits of kit, but very different to your aim. At least you know it'd last forever.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey, if you can see just fine thru your miller, I don't see how it can hold you back....

I used one yesterday to burn (1) 7018.....

Switched right away back to my pipeliner with arcone AD lens....

They just don't like me.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Speedglas adflo 9100fx air suits me fine. I have heard that they don't like extremely hot conditions, as the lenses stay dark, but I'm sure thats a common ad problem. There are a few things that irk me, but they are only little.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Speedglas adflo 9100fx air suits me fine. I have heard that they don't like extremely hot conditions, as the lenses stay dark, but I'm sure thats a common ad problem. There are a few things that irk me, but they are only little.

The speedglas 9100fx adflo is like $1500 btw.....http://store.cyberweld.com/3mspad91wadf2.html

More then most welding machines....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
taz
    Mon May 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I have a Speedglas 9100XX, a Speedglas 9100FX XX Adflo, an ArcOne SS240 AD filter which I use in my leather mask, a Kemppi ADF with 1/1/1/1 rating, plus a few passive helmets some with original Schott Athermal gold lenses.
Here is an older photo (they don't look so pretty anymore :lol: )

ImageWelding by Taz00, on Flickr

Nothing can beat a good passive lens for clarity. However I have found that good ADFs come real close, so much that you can barely tell a difference.
What makes a big difference also is the color and contrast of the ADF, I prefer green/blue tinted ones as I find they make distinguishing the puddle easier and are also less tiring after a lot of hours of welding.
The Speedglas ADF is the best for my eyes, the Kemppi and Arcone are similar but are both orange tinted and I do not like that.
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Full powered air system, with flip up lens for grinding /fitup. The plain shield and lens is a lot cheaper.
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

We use the 9100FX adflo at work. Its a pretty badass hood, but I hear the replacement lens covers are expensive, and I use a bunch of em. Like any hood, it is hard to see through a burned up lens cover. When the adfli battery dies, it gets hot in there really fast. I love the fr cover over the back of the hood, that's really well-planned. And the fabric bit around the chin, too. It makes you feel like you're in your own welding capsule. I would love to have one, but until I find one for under $100, I'm sticking with my shade 10 Radnor.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press

Well, looks like it's a hell of a nice helmet that I can get along without for a while. Thanks for the info, guys. Appreciate it.

LDB
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

What environment are you working in that needs the ADFLO?