A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

I changed the way that I prepare tungsten, lately I have been using my Belt Grinder with a Norton Zirconia belt. This method worked, but I used one $9 belt in one 4 hour welding session. Tungsten is hard!!!!!!

I decided to grind with a hand held tungsten grinder. I purchased a Sharpie from Arc-Zone. (The Sharpie, HTP, and TechSouth are all the same, just a different label, in fact, TechSouth makes the grinding head on the grinder for all three sellers.) This was nearly the lowest cost grinder that Arc-Zone sells, so I thought the quality would go according to the price, but I was pleasantly surprised. The motor has three speeds (can't remember the exact speeds, but it is around 30,000/14,000/3,000) I used the lowest speed to keep the heat down. The motor housing is ergonomic with rubberized sections around the circumference of the motor housing. Switch has a protection lever that prevents the motor from being turned on while adjustments are being made. The design of the grinding head is very nice, just spending a few minutes with the unit and you will understand how to use it. The motor runs smooth and the feel of the bearings is tight.

Since I tried fine grinding wheels, a flap disc on a 4-1/2" angle grinder, then for my final experiment I used my KMG Belt Grinder. The Belt Grinder worked the best, using both slack-belt and contact wheel grinding. All of these worked, but I was after angle repeatability that I could not achieve via the methods stated above. I knew that to narrow the arc I must grind between 25 and 45 degrees (included), this is where the hand held tungsten grinder proved to be a better tool, and the price was fairly low at $349, including the optional 0.040" collet. I also purchased 2 fine diamond grinding wheels for $80.

Something else to think about is there is very little disturbance of my welding position, since with this type of grinding system I can sit at my TIG bench to both weld and grind my tungsten electrodes.

This is what I decided to do, if you need more info let me know.
:mrgreen:
Attachments
Operators Manual - Tip Flat/Cutting/Wheel Life Extension
Operators Manual - Tip Flat/Cutting/Wheel Life Extension
Arc_Zone_Sharpie_Op._Manual-4.jpg (172.43 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Operators Manual - How to Grind
Operators Manual - How to Grind
Arc_Zone_Sharpie_Op._Manual-3.jpg (160.53 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Operators Manual - Safety and Pre-Operation Details
Operators Manual - Safety and Pre-Operation Details
Arc_Zone_Sharpie_Op._Manual-2.jpg (202.25 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Operators Manual Cover Page
Operators Manual Cover Page
Arc_Zone_Sharpie_Op._Manual-1.jpg (152.85 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Tungsten Size and Welding Current
Tungsten Size and Welding Current
Arc_Zone_SelectingTungsten-3.jpg (205.01 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Tungsten Performance Defined
Tungsten Performance Defined
Arc_Zone_SelectingTungsten-2.jpg (216.02 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Selecting The Tungsten
Selecting The Tungsten
Arc_Zone_SelectingTungsten-1.jpg (224.88 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Grinding Angle Technique
Grinding Angle Technique
Arc_Zone_GrindingTungsten-2.jpg (192.14 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Effect of the Grinding Angle
Effect of the Grinding Angle
Arc_Zone_GrindingTungsten-1.jpg (204.76 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
Grinder Comparison
Grinder Comparison
Arc_Zone_GrinderSelector.jpg (180.34 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
Dirtynails
    Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

I have the low end Tech-South tungsten grinder and it is now my most favorite tool. I plug it into the back of the Miller and it is right next to me. Super consistent point and it takes seconds. The replacement diamond wheels are like 10 dollars and I don't think they are easily worn out from the use I have given it so far. I love it! Much better than chucking your tungsten in a drill and hitting it on a grinding wheel. Did I mention it was the best tool ever?