A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Magnets will become non magnetic if they are near welding too much. He needs to get a cheater lense if he can't see. I don't know how else you couldn't see the puddle while welding. Maybe try a lighter shade
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I can see the puddle fine, the issue I was having is that when I put my plate back so I could restart I couldn't see where to strike it to start due to lack of light so I put a magnetic light on the vent in my booth and point it up and I've been good since I started to do that. My shield melted when my keyhole started to blow out and globs of metal feel on it.
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

I'm not trying to be an a$$hole here. Just trying to help you be more "field" ready. You don't have to light up at an exact point. How do you think it was before auto darkens? You just need to light up and then you will be able to find your way to the joint. What hood do you have? If you mean to take this seriously as a career you need to make sure your hood is rated for overhead. I run the Viking 3350 and I've abused it pretty good. Takes spatter and balls of fire like a champ.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
tschmitt
    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:26 pm

I have a miller digital elite but have been using a Jackson someone gave me since the miller went down. I tried striking at the beginning of the root but would pass the keyhole and try to come back to it and wasn't able to tie in worth a shit. So I need the light to see where I stopped and now that I have a light I strike it about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch before it and and I am able to tie in just fine
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." VINCE LOMBARDI