A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
irishdeath88
    Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 pm

I just started using the new Optrel Vegaview 2.5 and I am blown away. I have used a Miller performance series for 5 years now and I have liked it. I got the chance to use a the new Miller infinity series, 3M Speedglass and the new Optrel 2.5. Hands down the Optrel is the best thing since sliced bread. It is incredibly lightweight, comfortable and the optics are top dog in my opinion. Though the viewing area is only 2 by 4 inches the clarity and the colors that it provides make it seem bigger. If you are looking to upgrade to a newer, nicer hood I highly recommend this one. Its round shape also allows it to be the best for overhead welding. Hope this helps some of you out looking to upgrade
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Very nice hood, price not bad. The only reason I wouldn't go with it, is the external controls. Could be wrong but don't think it would hold up in some of the environments I work in. The grind mode LED is also a little annoying.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
irishdeath88
    Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Been using the optrell vegaview for just over a month now. I have done some overhead welding(7018 and 6010), pipe weldin, and a few different projects using tig and mig on mild steel and stainless and I am very impressed. the controls dont ever get in my way at all or hit with sparks. The grind mode is awesome as well. The blinking light is out of the way enough that when I am working in grind mode I don't notice it. Still is a nice reminder though when grinding is over to turn off so you dont blind yourself. Opitcs are incredable also. :D