A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
Glowzinski
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:08 pm

So, I got a welder in June or July. A little, like, $60 thing. I actually learned rather fast to weld. Now, mind you, I don’t’ know much. Haha All in good time. I was looking at welders. I decided, based on the power I have available at my house and the type of welding I want to do, that a Miller Bobcat would be the best thing for me. So, I started saving. I will have enough to buy a Bobcat 225 in June or a 250 in July. I have read and read. I think the duty cycle on the 225 is 100%, set at a point. The 250 is, I think %60. Which is fine for a hobby. I read that the 250 has the EFI thing. I read it is better on fuel and better for the environment.

So, I ask those who know. Actually, I just emailed Miller this question as well. Haha Is there a big difference, in the 225 and 250? I mean, one that would make the added cost worth it? Keep in mind; I want to do it as a hobby. What do you think?
Also, what about the welding leads? My mom and step dad are getting me a shed in a week or so. I am making a cart for the Bobcat. I will have to wheel that and the table I am making, out when I want to weld. Oh well. But, what is a good lead to get? Eventually, I want to learn mig and tig welding. I see a place called Earlbeck, has a beginner class, which is one day, four hours long. I would not mind going to that. Just to get the basics.

Thank you for your knowledge. I look forward to reading away.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

The Bobcat/Trailblazer deal with Miller is really pissed me off. What are you going to be doing with the welder SMAW only? Trailblazer set up for a Spoolmatic but they left out AC on the new ones. Still have lift arc but no AL TIG. Bobcat not setup for Spoolmatic but has AC. Bobcats cheaper and are damn good machines and if you are just running it as a stick machine the cheaper of the two would be might choice. Actually I think Miller is running a promotion this month on Bobcats, choice of three..600 dollar rebate, plasma or Maxstar. Go with the Plasma and E-Bay it for a grand.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Glowzinski

Well, ok, haha, I want to do everything I can with it. I am doing stick now. But, I will do all the types that I can on the thing. We do not have the power at my house, to run any of the welders I wanted. Thus, a generator/welder is great. Then, I could always get a lower priced Miller Mig and Tig welder. I think they have a Mig one for like, $599.

They do have a deal right now. It is going to make me get the thing a month early. It from like, May 9 - June 18th. You have to buy one of the welders within those dates. Then, you have to send in a thing, with the serial number and have it post marked by the 30th. There is a place around me, Earlbeck, that has it for like, $100 less than Miller. Then, on top of that, they have them right there in their store. So, I can get it, get the serial and send it right in. As for how in the HELL, we are getting it off my grandfathers truck and into my shed, well, that is another story. haha
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Good luck, you are getting a very nice machine. Four guys can lift it. I know, we had a guy forget to strap one down and dropped it off the truck in the middle of the road. Just be careful, kind of cumbersome to get under.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
Glowzinski

Well, I will have my mom, grandfather and grandmother. LOL Grandparents are in their 70s. If they tried to lift it, I think they would snap. haha I will figure something out.

The Bobcat 225 weighs about 560 pounds (585with full fuel), so it can be lifted with a heavy duty engine lift that you can probably rent for $20 on the day the welder comes home.

You asked about leads earlier. On my 225, I'm running this set from Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200390404

They're #2 AWG, which according to the Miller Bobcat 225 manual, is good for 200 amps at 100% duty cycle. Most of my welding (I'm a hobby welder like you) is around 140 amps or less, so I've never come close to getting those leads warm.

Larry
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch