A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

Have been using a Lincoln Viking auto helmet for the last few years and it started playing up a bit by turning off whilst welding and it was becoming a little bit unpredictable.

So, time for a new one....

Told the boss my plans and he said pick what I wanted and he'll buy it. You can pay me back on easy terms.

Cool bananas.... So I picked a Speedglass 9100 XX.

It was $600 + Tax ($660 total) list price. He got it for me for $528 all up, pretty good deal.

Completely different animal to the Viking. So easy to see through, I stand stand up straight, weld on the bench and see with total clarity. Good for TIG down to <5amp, guess I'll never go that low, but you never know.
But for MIG, outstanding difference. Makes a smooth weld much easier and can see the profile I'm leaving behind much easier.

Anyone else have one?
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I don't have one, altho i was considering a Viking. Great that Bossman fronted the purchase price!
Dave
aka "RTFM"
The_Fixer
    Fri May 13, 2016 3:54 am

Artie F. Emm wrote:I don't have one, altho i was considering a Viking. Great that Bossman fronted the purchase price!
The problems I had with the Viking was that it could be difficult to set sensitivity right with aluminium and workshop lights. the sensors often turned the lens off in the middle of a weld, which meant I really had to be careful about head placement over the arc. This could be quite awkward in tight spots. Or it would turn on when I was trying to line up on a start point.
Grind mode was quite dark, which made it pointless. But it was external and it was fairly sturdy, sturdier than I thought it would be.
Its narrow profile made it good for tighter spots, but I also found the headgear will occasionally tangle the top of an ear in it sometimes. Hurt like a bitch getting it off.

For what it was at the price, it wasn't bad value. Came with its limitations, but that is also why I paid a heap more for a higher end helmet.

I didn't buy the Speedglass with the flip up front, as it was heavier and I couldn't really justify spending the extra $150 for it. Grind mode on mine is shade 3 and very clear, without being too dark. First helmet I've ever seen with a light enough grind mode. Even the older Speedglasses aren't this light.