A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

This seems like a good a place as any so what is your favorite lid and why? I have a buddy who owns a welding supply and made me a 'deal' on a Nex Gen a few years ago. I love it but I'm always looking for the better mouse trap.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

I have my Sunday hood, Miller Digital Infinity w/cool band. Very nice hood for the shop, but I would never use it in the field. For years my field hood has been and still is the old fashion pipeliner, with quick release clips for my hard hat. Still have a pancake hood as goofy as it looks it serves a purpose. And finally have a leather hood for those tight places.

Cost/value/performance.....The Fiber-Metal pipeliner wins in my opinion.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
    Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

DLewis0289 wrote:Still have a pancake hood as goofy as it looks it serves a purpose.

Always wondered about the pancake hood. What are those for?
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

Pipes in ditches lol. Pancakes are good for pipeline work, if you get the chance try one outside and sunny, defeats the back glare from the son. They are light and cool as well.
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

djrockytharp wrote:
DLewis0289 wrote:Still have a pancake hood as goofy as it looks it serves a purpose.

Always wondered about the pancake hood. What are those for?

They seal around your eyes, like snow machine goggles.

I personally wouldn't be caught dead with one.
So big clunky and uncomfortable.
Love my fibremetal 110pwe pipeliner.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Dr. Juice
    Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:57 pm

I've been running a NexGen for 11 years at work (they supply the hood). I've been through 3 shells and 2 lenses and the only reason I went through one lens and one shell is because someone stole my hood! So I just grabbed a new one. They are super dependable and take a beating. The look of the arc is really nice but my one complaint is that the shade is pretty dark before you strike the arc. The Miller PAPR hood I use when welding stainless is much better in the pre arc clarity. When I say they are tough I'm talking about constant beatings running mig hot and fast in a shop 45-60 hours a week building power transformers. Lots of bumps and drops!