A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
billtang
    Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:49 pm

has anybody had experience with one of these machines? I can get one for 700 clams, it looks like new but I haven`t heard anything about them. thanks, bt
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

the name ECONOtig, describes it
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Sun May 01, 2016 7:46 am

+1 ECONOtig
AWS D1.1 / ASME IX / CWB / API / EWI / RWMA / BSEE
Scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality." Nikola Tesla
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have one and it is a decent machine for a Newby to learn on. Of course this all depends on the asking price.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

You could get a Lincoln square wave tig 200 for $1400 with a warranty, some nice features (pulse, balance) and it has great reviews. The problem buying used especially when there is little about the welder out there is no warranty and probably hard to find parts.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
John Chamorro
    Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:44 am
    San Antonio Valley Peoples Republic of Californy

I had one for quite a while. It's a nice welder within it's limits. It was near new condition when I sold it a few weeks ago. FWIW, I sold it to a retiring refinery welder that did TIG/stick for a living. He wanted it for his home shop and figured it would do everything he would need it to.
I sold it because it wouldn't quite do what I wanted it to. I got $700 for it. The guy was happy and I bought the new Lincoln Square Wave 200.
I don't know it all but I'm working on it.
duckracer
    Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:25 am

I got my econotig when they first came out and still have it. It has been a dependable machine. I have heard of others having transformer issues, but mine has been issue free since day one. I ran a one man drag car chassis shop for some years and use my econotig for welding Molly and mild steel. I have used it to build multiple dragsters and door cars, as well as for repairs on a few drag bikes and my road racing ducati. It is a good machine, although an old school transformer one. A couple of friends liked mine enough that they bought one. The aluminum welding is a little limited in how thin you can weld, and I had a job come up that needed me to weld some .030. My econotig (probably more my skill level than the machine) was having issues welding material that thin, so I borrowed a friend's new Lincoln rig 200 squad wave, and that thing is a sweet little machine. I liked it enough that I went out and bought one the next day! Soooooo if the price is rite you should be fine with a used econotig as long as it was taken care of.