A dedicated area for reviews, thoughts, and feedback on shop/welding products
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi guys:
I haven't posted here in a long time. I've got a Miller 212 MIG 2 years ago but now wishing I had waited to buy a combo MIG/TIG unit. I've read so many reviews my eyes are crossing and now am more confused as ever. I've been looking at the Eastwood, AHP and other Chinese made units but leary of the quality that has typically come with anything Chinese. PLUS the fact they are arrogantly stating "We will be at war with the USA in the future". Comments like that don't help me to consider Chinese. BUT, on the other hand, the prices are mucho lower than the others.
I don't need all of the bells/whistles that you pro's would likely use. I'm looking for this for thin metal welding and mostly will be using it for aluminum (all thicknesses). I don't want to spend the $2000 and higher costs and would prefer to keep it in the $1200 to $1500 range (or lower if possible). (Note: am I asking for the impossible)? So the bottom line question is:
What would YOU recommend?
Thanks for your time and responses,
RPat
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

The mig/tig units are DC only.

Since you want to tig aluminum you need an AC/DC machine.

Lincoln 200 has been out for a little while now and is in your price range - $1400 shipped.

http://www.bakersgas.com/LINK5126-1.htm ... aQoda_EAHQ
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

You won't be welding aluminum of all thicknesses for under $1200. You won't be welding very much aluminum for that price.

They're all chinese welders.....yes, even lincoln. Now, I know that's gonna ruffle some feathers around here but you don't have to take my word for it. Just look at all the Chinese welding and electrode acquisitions that lincoln has made. It's called "global economy". Now you know what has happened to all the jobs in the USA.

The big voys like lincoln and hobart (miller) just have better marketing, distribution and service than the smaller chinese welder distributors.
See here:

http://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/comp ... story.aspx

Just search the page for "china".
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

I would take a look at Everlast. I've used high end millers and lincolns and I honestly believe for the money you can beat Everlast. Just look at my signature to see how much I like them :D
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
RPat
    Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I see you like Everlast quite a bit. :D Have you used it to weld very lightweight material (iron,steel, aluminum)?
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

RPat wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I see you like Everlast quite a bit. :D Have you used it to weld very lightweight material (iron,steel, aluminum)?
I have a 250EXT and it welds thick aluminum with no problem. But with aluminum you really need a water cooler if the weld is of any real substance.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

RPat wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Yep, I see you like Everlast quite a bit. :D Have you used it to weld very lightweight material (iron,steel, aluminum)?

I've used it on everything now. Heavy Steel and aluminum and a bit of stainless. Thick and thin. Love that machine. I'm gonna build myself a water cooler eventually. But I have huge hands so the #26 torches are actually more comfortable for me than small torches. I am able to handle them better and not be so clumsy with the coordinating the torch around.
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

RamboBaby wrote:You won't be welding aluminum of all thicknesses for under $1200. You won't be welding very much aluminum for that price.

They're all chinese welders.....yes, even lincoln. Now, I know that's gonna ruffle some feathers around here but you don't have to take my word for it. Just look at all the Chinese welding and electrode acquisitions that lincoln has made. It's called "global economy". Now you know what has happened to all the jobs in the USA.

The big voys like lincoln and hobart (miller) just have better marketing, distribution and service than the smaller chinese welder distributors.
See here:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
    Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:26 am

RamboBaby wrote:You won't be welding aluminum of all thicknesses for under $1200. You won't be welding very much aluminum for that price.

See here:

Engage brain before opening mouth. They are not "all Chinese welders"
There are POS Chinese welders (hint they all look like clones of each others crap) that are poorly built, poor copies of outdated technology using crap recycled components with parts and service which is non-existent, and a useless warranty that is ship it back to Communist China and we'll ship a "new" POS in a few months.

Then there are "name brand" welders designed in the US, then built using almost slave labor in the offshore company owned plants with quality components and quality manufacturing then shipped back to the US where you assume you are buying (red painted) American equipment. Although they stabbed you in the back to produce the equipment using cheap labor, your "buy AMERICAN" tradesmen puts their union stickers all over it. You. An get warranty and continued service locally.

Then you have (blue painted) quality machines that are designed and built in Wisconsin. These you can use the warranty at an LWS in your neighborhood and service it and buy consumables from for the next 20 year lifespan of the machine.

(Yes they use electronic components made elsewhere, because your friendly EPA has so many restrictions that almost no one makes them in the US anymore, circuit boards, transistors, capacitors,etc)

You get what you pay for.
Ryan

Miller Dynasty 350 w/wireless pedal
Miller 350P with standard torch and XR-Aluma-Pro
Miller Multimatic 200 w/spool gun w/wireless pedal
Miller Spectrum 375 X-TREME
Smith torches
Optrel e684
Miller Digital Elite
Miller Weld-Mask
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Xryan
welder manufacture overview.
Best one I have seen on net.
When the customer(the seller) orders quality, the consumer benefits. But jobs are still gone to the global labor market/pool outside the USA.

Globally wages will eventually even out. Corporate/stockholder $ will go up. Labor force $ in US will likely go down.
Constitution will shrink, Taxes go up
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:The mig/tig units are DC only.

Lincoln 200 has been out for a little while now and is in your price range - $1400 shipped.

agree, or the AHP200X as a dealer for them and having spent over a year testing the 2014/15 units before becoming a dealer, I can say you won't find a better value for the money. I.also test every function and weld with each machine I sell. About the only other new option in your budget might be the TA/TWECO 186.
The other option is look for an older transformer used. Miller, Lincoln etc.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Miggs
    Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:33 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:The mig/tig units are DC only.

That's not a bad price at all!
DLF
  • DLF
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

Razorweld 200 ac/dc TIG (aka Jasic or Unimig depending on your location) Better quality china welder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

DLF wrote:Razorweld 200 ac/dc TIG (aka Jasic or Unimig depending on your location) Better quality china welder

Why on earth are you resurrecting a 5 year old thread?
Multimatic 255
DLF
  • DLF
    Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:58 am

Ooops, did not notice the old date