Fuel gas heating, bending, welding, straightening, etc.
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

I'm just a hobbyist welder and have been doing only arc (SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW) welding of late. I do have a gas rig that I used last many years ago for some quick repairs on a trailer, but I really had no idea what I was doing.

I decided to break it out the other day just to re-familiarize myself with the parts and pieces and make sure it all still worked. (Mainly the regulators - It/they did)

I started watching vids and doing some reading in anticipation of practicing on some scrap, specifically on how to select the proper tip size for a specific material thickness. What I found was different manufacturers use different number conventions when defining orifice size.. Is there a reasonably quick/easy way to get to a good starting point? I did find a chart with recommended orifice sizes for various material thicknesses, but I'd have to physically measure the tips to get anywhere with that. Seems more than a bit tedious and time consuming. A "101" would be most appreciated.

Thx!

Doesn't the manufacturer of your equipment provide the info you need?
Richard
Website
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Most manufacturers stamp the tip size onto the tip, making it very easy to correctly choose the proper tip size of your torch’s brand for the material thickness you’re cutting.
Skiddz
    Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:18 am

LtBadd wrote:Doesn't the manufacturer of your equipment provide the info you need?
Torch kit came with exactly ZERO documentation. The only thing on the three tips I have is stamped numbers but without measuring the actual orifices, they're just arbitrary numbers.
cj737 wrote:Most manufacturers stamp the tip size onto the tip, making it very easy to correctly choose the proper tip size of your torch’s brand for the material thickness you’re cutting.
Again, different manufacturers apparently use their own tip numbering. Having an actual orifice diameter is nice, but it still doesn't tell me what gauge metals I can weld. I didn't mention a thing about cutting.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Skiddz wrote:
cj737 wrote:Most manufacturers stamp the tip size onto the tip, making it very easy to correctly choose the proper tip size of your torch’s brand for the material thickness you’re cutting.
Again, different manufacturers apparently use their own tip numbering. Having an actual orifice diameter is nice, but it still doesn't tell me what gauge metals I can weld. I didn't mention a thing about cutting.
Instead of copping an attitude, what brand torch and tips do you have? Look up THEIR recommendations.

Skiddz wrote: I do have a gas rig that I used last many years ago for some quick repairs on a trailer, but I really had no idea what I was doing.
If you’re playing with a gas rig, AND welding with it, you need to know what you’re doing. Torches have discharge flow rates associated with their size. Experience is probably a lot more meaningful than a chart that says for 3/16” use tip A. It still ledge, experience and understanding of welding (or cutting). So figure out what you have, research those parts and their associate charts, then practice safely.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Actually measuring the orifice size isn't that hard. As long as your tips aren't super beat up.

Get yourself a tip cleaning set. (Under $10)

And get yourself a micrometer.

Take the tip cleaner and just start putting them in til you find the snug fit (don't force it and end up making the orifice larger with the serations on the cleaner)

Then simply measure the tip cleaner that fit with the micrometer

Least this way you have something to work with for safety's sake with gas pressures and flow rates etc cause oxy acetylene is no joke and not something to just play with in my opinion. Few wrong moves and things can go south very fast.

Who knows maybe with enough digging you can even find out what brand you have by the orifice size then restamp the number sizes it your tips.

Hope this helps and be safe in your practice

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Those numbers are a standard. If it’s a 0 or a 1 or a 4. The bigger the number the larger the oriface. If it’s smaller than a 0 then it’s a 00 or a 000.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:59 pm

To find orifice diameters you can also use a set of number drills. No need for a micrometer then.