Fuel gas heating, bending, welding, straightening, etc.
mjr6550
    Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:31 pm

I have a small issue with a trailer hitch and I am thinking about trying to solve it using my O/A torch. This is more for practice than need. I have an adjustable trailer hitch where the balls (two sizes on opposite ends of a square bar) attach into a channel with two steel pins. The pins are slightly undersized (I have not taken any measurements). They are undersized enough so that there is noticeable movement when I start or stop moving.

One thought was to build up surface of the pins by brazing. I realize this is soft and may not last, but I use the trailer very little, and it is less than 2000 pounds. The other thought is to build up the pins by O/A welding. I have done very little brazing and no welding. If I build it up too far I can chuck in into a lathe and turn or file it down.

I have 240 volt AC arc welder and 120 volt mig, but feel like playing with O/A. Also, assuming the Chinese pins are hardened steel (?), not sure about welding. I also through about partially filling in the holes on the channel and drilling or reaming them, but the channel is powder coated so I'd rather not fool with it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Because you have a lathe, I figure you must have proper measuring tools.

Measure the holes, see if bolts are the right size, or standard pins.

If not, I would buy material and machine to desired tolerance.

Practice on the pins anyway - then toss in the scrap barrel.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
mjr6550
    Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Using the lathe would be an option, but I have too many more important or interesting things do do with the lathe. This isn't a pressing need, more like an excuse to learn or practice. I never seem to find the time to learn new things or practice things unless I have a reason or excuse.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Smarter to simply sleeve the pin than to build it up as the build up would likely require machining it to true the OD for fitment.