Fuel gas heating, bending, welding, straightening, etc.
Luggsey
    Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Hi, first post, does flaming happen here? :)

I am in need of a small gas torch to repair copper refrigeration pipes by brazing with silver solder (I don't know what sort to use but I'm thinking a lower melting point as possible would be good?) small stuff about 6mm.
I have a MAPP torch but its a bit aggressive and lumpy to use in a confined area...so.
I have been given a brand new un used AGA torch with all nozzles that I would like to try with MAPP.
So, can I use the torch on just MAPP gas to get a small hot MAPP flame?
If I can, I have been unable to find a hose and bottle tap for MAPP cylinders at a reasonable price unless I but a cheapo Chinese hose that has an adaptor and a torch for £20.
I really just want a regulator and hose if this will work without spending loads!
Thanks for your insights.
Paul.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you want to braze you need map gas or hotter. Solder like staybrite 8 you can make work on propane. A standard plumbing torch on map gas can braze 15% silver up to about 7/8” pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS80 ... 2754673802
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Luggsey
    Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Poland308 wrote:If you want to braze you need map gas or hotter. Solder like staybrite 8 you can make work on propane. A standard plumbing torch on map gas can braze 15% silver up to about 7/8” pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS80 ... 2754673802
Thanks Josh, a couple of suppliers suggested silverflo55 as best choice. Ic thats 55% silver are uou saying that wont work with MAPP gas?
Cheers.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depends on line size. It would probably work up to about 1/2 Id copper but once you get into steel or brass you will need more heat. You might get there with map gas but you will heat soak your materials a lot, causing separate challenges.
I have more questions than answers

Josh