Fuel gas heating, bending, welding, straightening, etc.
Kodokan
    Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:05 am

Sorry to disappear from the TIG Forum, but my welding class at the local college was starting, and I wanted to prep for oxyacetylene welding.

When I pass this class in 4 more weeks, I can get into the open lab and do what I want. No formal instruction, just practice- so I'll be on the TIG.

By the time I got to start welding last night, class was almost over. Threw down my second bead after they called for clean up. My first try at O/A. Fusion welds, no rod.

First problem is I need more light. Lost my soapstone line on both trys. Only have an 00 tip to use, which seems big for 16 gauge steel. The tip of my cone was 3/4" to 1" away from the puddle. Tomorrow, I'll use less acetylene than recommended. I noticed the instructor doing it and he had a tiny cone.

Instructor said my beads are no good because he wants concave on top and convex on the bottom. My bottoms are flat. Not enough penetration.

But, not one hole. And some kinda-sorta dimes in there. I'm happy. Need to make 6 proper beads to finish this first project.

Kodokan

Outside Corner project lead to a Box project. Supposed to check the box for leaks. Not very consistent because I'm trying different stuff, like circles, half circles, zig-zags, etc. Also didn't tack up the whole box. Just welded one piece at a time. Big mistake.

Definitely enjoying the 4 days a week schedule.
Kodokan

Instructor told us to finish the Box project tonight. Mine was done last night. I could do another one, but I'd rather do something new.

I go into his office and ask him if I can try to weld a skully into the side of my box. He stared at me for a good 3 seconds, and said- FUCK YEAH!!! I'm guessing no one ever asked him that.

It was fun because I didn't move the box. I welded forehand, backhand, up & down without changing the torch position.

Kodokan

Also tried welding my name. Tried to get good penetration, so it was harder.

Kodokan

I already told the instructor that I'm mostly interested in TIG welding aluminum, titanium, and steel. Also TIG brazing.

Last night I asked him if they have propane. Told him I'd like to learn to color anodize titanium and stainless. He liked the idea.

Bad news, though. No propane, and I'm sure the O/A heating torch is way too hot. He said butane would be okay, but I don't think a butane torch is the right tool. MAPP gas would be good, but he didn't mention it. I'll ask next time.

If I have to buy my own gas, torch, and coupons- I may as well do it at home.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

The ONLY way to learn is to do it. Things are looking up, just get yourself hood time. And by the way, good job on your name ,, Stan... :lol:
Kodokan

Couple of beads from last night.

Was lazy. Didn't draw any lines to follow. Definitely making progress.

drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Kodokan wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:14 am Also tried welding my name. Tried to get good penetration, so it was harder.

For what you're doing penetration isn't needed and the wrong thing to go for. If you get the weld too hot you push through to the inside, that will contaminate your weld on the outside. Same with the corners on your box, unless you have a couple of holes drilled into it and running a backing gas too much penetration will kill your weld.
IMG_2530 (3).jpg
IMG_2530 (3).jpg (477.67 KiB) Viewed 8565 times
Like this S.S. weld couldn't have ANY penetration on the inside and got tested with 1500 or 1800 psi. I believe, the thickness is around 1/16". Thought I had a mild steel weld to show, I guess I didn't take any pics from that job.