Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

If some one have a good trick....

I think of using a thin piano wire as a remote control (attached at my wrist for instance)

But if I learn how to hold steadily the rod without touching and with one hand ....

They talk of a "peep" position https://weldingengineers.co.nz/safety-e ... /kem-p1700 possible the one with the mask just a little open (?)
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Nah, no peeking.

A trick I learned for fixed shade helmets is to find your mark and set the rod a little to its side so that it sits on the flux and doesn't strike, then put the hood down, pivot the rod up and strike.
olek
    Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:07 pm

PeteM wrote:Nah, no peeking.

A trick I learned for fixed shade helmets is to find your mark and set the rod a little to its side so that it sits on the flux and doesn't strike, then put the hood down, pivot the rod up and strike.
Thank you Pete, that is exactly what I was after , simple but efficient. So for instance you put the rod at 45 degres on its side at the level of the beginning of the "smoke trail" (the 1" used to light the rod before reverting direction)
Then a wrist motion put the rod where it must be , to strike. I imagine the motion fairly well I will try that soon.

Regards
Pianos , restorer and tuner
Dedicated to learn welding since april
slowly learning ;) not complaining of doing beads and beads
pro inverter PROGYS 200 FV PFC CEL+tig lift
OA Oxyflam 1000 cutting and welding gas torch