Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I told mbmalone that id try to run some 6010 next time i welded. Well...yesterday was that day.

School has been out for a little and i havent had a chance to burn some rods so i started with 6010 beads. 1/8 rod, 80-90 amps, flat position.
I had an old piece laying around that i used to practice T joints on so i just burned on top of that. I left the plate dirty as hell.

I dont think there's much undercut. It looks like i undercut the heck out of it but im pretty sure thats just mill scale and slag. If i used a wire wheel i think itd be better, but all i had was the good old chipping hammer and wire brush.

I started pretty straight and then i dont know what the hell happened hahaha. I dragged some, i did little script E motions/circles, and i moved around in a ( motion on others.

Just some practice beads on sh*t metal to show mbmalone what 6010 looks like when i do it.
And as a tombstone owner, Im looking forward to AK's tombstone review as well!!
Attachments
CAM00580.jpg
CAM00580.jpg (89.91 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00579.jpg
CAM00579.jpg (89.33 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00578.jpg
CAM00578.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00576.jpg
CAM00576.jpg (77.27 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00577.jpg
CAM00577.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00575.jpg
CAM00575.jpg (80.96 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00574.jpg
CAM00574.jpg (72.49 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00573.jpg
CAM00573.jpg (69.77 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
CAM00572.jpg
CAM00572.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Old practice piece. Probably should've cleaned it lol
Old practice piece. Probably should've cleaned it lol
CAM00571.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
"The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation"
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

Awesome, I get to check some 6010 beads. Which machine did you use?
I started to get really pissed at that tombstone and haven't used it for a couple of days. I'm trying to get something better.

I figured out that if you use old hobart electrodes, you have to have 3 sharpened chipping hammers because they will quickly become blunted from all the laborious hammering and you will get sick of constantly having to stop to resharpen the blunted heads. :roll:

Dipping the rods in the cooling bucket seems to help keep them from cracking and burning. I don't know how long to dip them but at least I try to remember not to dip them while they are still in the stinger. Although the water is safely contained in a non-conductive plastic bucket, right?

I am planning to barbeque some 7018's. I hear they smell like chicken, we will see.

I am also waiting on the new tombstone review from John. He doesn't have the welder at the moment. For all I know, there is actually something wrong with mine? Do you have the AC/DC model tombstone? I can't remember, but I think so?

ok, let me check all these beads with my inspection flashlight. Is that some undercut I see, hmmm?
No, actually what I see is a lot of splatter, not undercut. I'm sure it's just magnified. Since you didn't go over 90A, I was wonder what you had the arc control set on? Maybe that was set too high for the 6010. The way I understand it is that in the flat position, you want to have it in maybe the lower 1/3 of the selection range or you will have a lot of popping. IDK ... or 2/3rds for out of position. Maybe I have it wrong. I think 7018 is always to be set 2/3rds to 3/3rds of the range, no matter what.

These are some pretty nice beads. I would like to see a few vertical beads. I made one that was pretty good but it was like it sucked my welder dry. I could almost see the sides of the tombstone bending in on the 2nd electrode and it became more difficult for me to hold the arc. I wish I could get better at this.

I also use the counter-clockwise circles while traveling left to right. I really don't know these other techniques. I would like to see beads comparing them, tho ... where is John with his video of some of those cool-ass hand positions ??

I came up with a 6010 splatter protection device for my left forearm. It's a CD holder for a car visor, covered with aluminum foil taped over the exposed side. I can also easily slide it up and spin it to cover the inside of my forearm. I'm looking for something to cover my vise grips with, because they are becoming coated in the stuff. I guess I know what I'll continue to use this pair for. I ground them clean and the same thing happened again, so fast. I don't want to use high dollar splatter spray with I don't have, for my practicing. Maybe if I rub some muddy read clay on them which I could rinse off afterwards?
nyc7018 wrote:I told mbmalone that id try to run some 6010 next time i welded. Well...yesterday was that day.

School has been out for a little and i havent had a chance to burn some rods so i started with 6010 beads. 1/8 rod, 80-90 amps, flat position.
I had an old piece laying around that i used to practice T joints on so i just burned on top of that. I left the plate dirty as hell.

I dont think there's much undercut. It looks like i undercut the heck out of it but im pretty sure thats just mill scale and slag. If i used a wire wheel i think itd be better, but all i had was the good old chipping hammer and wire brush.

I started pretty straight and then i dont know what the hell happened hahaha. I dragged some, i did little script E motions/circles, and i moved around in a ( motion on others.

Just some practice beads on sh*t metal to show mbmalone what 6010 looks like when i do it.
And as a tombstone owner, Im looking forward to AK's tombstone review as well!!
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I dunno anything about dunking rods in water man sorry. And i havent burned Hobarts before. My lws sells Lincoln and Weldcote. I have a 10lb box of the weldcote 6010 and a 7018 but havent tried them yet...

I wouldnt put so much emphasis on arc control and dig. Especially for running beads...

Either way, my machine doesnt have all those fancy things. Its got a knob that says crisp xx18 and soft xx18 and crisp xx10 and soft xx10. From what i understand these are preset dig functions.

As for the spatter i wasnt really going nuts cleaning it. U can see the pic of how dirty the metal was...just putting some beads down to practice burning. With 4 kids younger than 4 im just excited to get some under the hood time haha.
"The Plumber Protects The Health Of The Nation"
    Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

I only dipped the old 6010. If you google you will see it. Lincoln electrodes are nice, I'll not buy any more Hobart. I want to hold a tight 6010 arc, but without DIG I stick at the amperage I want to run, so I get pissed. I don't always clean either, not for practice. If I hit a little bump in the road where I'm welding my bead, with arc control it burns through, without I just stick the electrode. I know it's because I suck, but the arc control used to really help me with that stuff. It's like going to Hawaii and swimming, then coming home and the water is brown. It didn't used to suck, but now it does, ha..ha..

I have to watch some more 1944 videos, back before those kind of advanced features. I don't know what a sine wave control is, but I don't want to use a machine with that, unless I already have one a home ............. I can't weld without sine, My AC is not balanced. I don't even want to know if I have a POS welder :lol:
nyc7018 wrote:I dunno anything about dunking rods in water man sorry. And i havent burned Hobarts before. My lws sells Lincoln and Weldcote. I have a 10lb box of the weldcote 6010 and a 7018 but havent tried them yet...

I wouldnt put so much emphasis on arc control and dig. Especially for running beads...

Either way, my machine doesnt have all those fancy things. Its got a knob that says crisp xx18 and soft xx18 and crisp xx10 and soft xx10. From what i understand these are preset dig functions.

As for the spatter i wasnt really going nuts cleaning it. U can see the pic of how dirty the metal was...just putting some beads down to practice burning. With 4 kids younger than 4 im just excited to get some under the hood time haha.
Airco Heliwelder, model 3A/DDR-224HPA/B-D
LWS Kobalt Helmet / Blue Flame HF
6010 Powdered Vise Grips
Bad A$$ Orange Grinder
Chicken Hammer for Pecking Divots