Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

A guy at work said the lincoln Excalibur rods suck snd when he was doing refinery work his favorite rod was blue... well I can't remember the name but it had blue in the name. All I've used is 7018 from Lincoln, except I literally ran one hobart 7018 when new to welding. Curious to see what everyone's favorite type of rod for producing smoothest 7018 welds
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

I run mostly Forney rods of any kind because I can get them local for cheap. I also get Lincoln Excalibur rods from my brother in law free when they have too many or they get damaged. I really like the Lincoln rods for out of position and the Forney rods are really good flat but they still do good out of position but I prefer the lincoln rods over them for out of position. I haven't ran the Hobart rods yet.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Have not run the excalibers yet, but so far all I've heard is good things about them.

I use mostly Washington Alloy rods, some Forney - I like them both.

I do not like cheap hardware store Hobart rods, but I've been told the ones at the welder supply in 50lb boxes are better.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Excaliburs make good tomato stakes on young plants. I only buy Inweld.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm partial to Excalibur, but this rod is picky about how it's treated. Straight from a sealed can to a 270*F rod oven, and use within four hours of pulling from the oven, and they perform beautifully in all positions. Violate any aspect of this, like skipping the rod oven and leaving them in your box, and you are throwing the dice.

Steve S
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Ferocraft 61.

If a noob like me can produce a loverly looking weld, it must be good lol
I have a soldering iron!
ifit
  • ifit
    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:15 am

I liked using Excalibur welding rods with my Miller AC/DC buzz box, 3/32 & 1/8. For me it welds smooth. They don't sell them out here anymore, too expensive.
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I've used hobart quite a bit...atom...Lincoln an a few welding supply store brands and I like Lincoln. But it's all personal preference....