Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

mike boyer wrote:Sounds like you need to bring my old ass up there...I could use an OBI-WAN about now....LOL...
Lol, I don't know about that. Wish we were hiring but not at present. We can take resumes but it would just get put in my drawer with all the rest.
- Jonathan

Edit; yes I did see your tig passes. I think you are doing fine. Follow the advise offered and the next one will be sendable, if not blame me lol.
I still think it would be cool to meet up somewhere for a weld down. Meet each other, learn from each other in person and show off some skill.
    Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Now that would be COOL...Im thinking after the next job, of goin to the lincoln school..I'd love to show um where Im at and see where they could take me..Or the flur facility in greenville....I need an OBI-WAN....Get this show on the road....Just being able to do pipe on a daily basis in a real world environment would do me worlds of good......And YES....I'm the guy who's pic is next to impatient in the dictionary..lol...PUSH PUSH PUSH..is my moto...The harder I drive myself the sooner I'm happy...Hate being second best...LOL
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Superiorwelding wrote: We can take resumes but it would just get put in my drawer with all the rest.
I won't bother filling your drawer, but your R&D efforts interest me. If you find yourself in a position to do any cryogenic work, I have a great deal of experience to offer, and will consider anything from giving free advice here, through consulting, through a serious position, if you'd have me. In other words, I'd entertain offers... :mrgreen:

Steve S

Well my "skills" certainly aren't welding..There more along the lines of Aerospace,Automotive,Defense & private sector weaponry..ie: Space shuttle at General Dynamics,Cruise,Fog.Lantern,Hellfire missiles..F-16 & F16xl proto work..Desighned & built the welding fixtures for the V22 Helicopter at Grimes Aero..Designed & built the welding & machining fixtures for the Barret Light 50..Pulled sewer pumping station pumps & redisgned the flange valves for citrus water & sewer....Machining for Gulfstream aircraft in Savannah Ga..Wrote machining procedures & machined trainer missiles for a company in Tn...Repaired the Transition blocks for the B1 Bomber for Avco in Tullahoma Tn...Designed & fabricated custom built choppers with a friend in NC during the hayday when every yuppie with two checkbooks wana to "buy an identity..( cuz he thought bein a biker was gona get him L#*^d,,,,LMAO....Thinkin outside the box ???? Yea ..Been there done that....BUT...Now..I wana learn to weld...Go figure huh ???..Well...Time for me to step down off my soap box...& head out to the garage...Were my NEW toys are faithfully waitin for me ....LMAO...Maybe I'll give it another go at "spazzzn the cup & dippin my tungsten....Any one gota used grinder for sale...I'va bout wore mine out regrindin tapers on my wicks....LOL

The grinder is the best teacher a welder can have... The frustration of grinding $h!t out is a great motivator. :lol:

The grinder has taught me how to use an O/A torch and plasma cutter with a great deal of patience and precision, because I HATE grinding...

BTW, Mike, that's quite the impressive resume'. And you mentioned Savannah, GA. That's the only place I've ever felt comfortable in a city. To think it was designed in 1733! James Oglethorpe was a genius.

Steve S

I meant a pedestal grinder steve...LOL....Im tryin my best not to grind out welds...I am Grindin tacks..And I'll cheat when I hump up ata stop...I've ground out a few W&P hot passes ,Cuz they looked like Godzillas back..But other than that....I've been lucky...Course the games just startin & im sure these metabos are gona get there fair share...LOL...( i haven't been layin on a floor,6"s off a deck with a bent rod tryin to see yet either....Savannah was HOT...I was workin Crazy hours..I'd go to the motel & die...I've ridden thru it a number of times & it does have some great food...Speakin a food..I'm green with envy your eatin cajun & i'm not..Paul Prudome is my hero..Got 4 of his cook books...(Thats were the 3 heart attacks & quadrupple by pass came from i'm sure.) LMAO...It's sinful good..I can't imagine how it would taste if he cooked it....I'm gona end up in the Louisiana if its the last thing I do before I croak....I'm gona weld pipe..Eat Cajun/Creole food..And spend every penny I make catching them GIANT SPECKLED TROUT...That's my goal anyway...Oh & my resume...It was something to occupy my manic little mind...Barrett was the coolest tho..The welder & I would take the barrels that didn't QC..Check a couple guns out of the vault...Grab a 6 pack of mags each & load um with tracers..File the sere pins dam near in half..Wait till dark & hold on...20 rounds at full auto was a site to see...LMAO...Man that wasa hoot !!!!!!!
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
Superiorwelding wrote: We can take resumes but it would just get put in my drawer with all the rest.
I won't bother filling your drawer, but your R&D efforts interest me. If you find yourself in a position to do any cryogenic work, I have a great deal of experience to offer, and will consider anything from giving free advice here, through consulting, through a serious position, if you'd have me. In other words, I'd entertain offers... :mrgreen:

Steve S
Steve,
There are several here I would love to have on my team, including yourself. R&D is nice at times but when we are "slow" it tends to drag you down. The plus side is obviously the very cool pieces of equipment and technologies I get to see. I have been trying my best to share them here as they are a interest to everyone.
On another note, I am keeping my options open as well and would entertain offers as well.....just saying :D ;)
-Jonathan

OFFERS...OPTIONS...JUST WANA RUN AWAY FROM HOME :lol: Have either one of you guys considered the gypsy life...Good pipe guys on the average are FROM $30/100...Combo is even higher...Just sayin :D

mike boyer wrote:OFFERS...OPTIONS...JUST WANA RUN AWAY FROM HOME :lol: Have either one of you guys considered the gypsy life...Good pipe guys on the average are FROM $30/100...Combo is even higher...Just sayin :D
Done it!

Living out of motel rooms, being 1200 miles from home during the holidays, etc. got old after awhile. Some people do it all their careers. For others, it's a game for the young.

Had a lot of fun, made (and blew) a lot of money, but there's comfort in using the same toilet every morning... :lol:

Steve S

Thats me in a nut shell...I cant wait for the next call...Plus..And a BIG plus for me...It's not permanent, You know your there for a certain amount of time & then you get to.. lay in bed..Go fishin..not have to do the day to day grind..Guess its just ingrained in me from my younger days of doin contract work for volt technical,,,Road Wh*#^*,,The more ya pay me,,The longer I stay...LOL....

mike boyer wrote:Thats me in a nut shell...I cant wait for the next call...Plus..And a BIG plus for me...It's not permanent, You know your there for a certain amount of time & then you get to.. lay in bed..Go fishin..not have to do the day to day grind..Guess its just ingrained in me from my younger days of doin contract work for volt technical,,,Road Wh*#^*,,The more ya pay me,,The longer I stay...LOL....
Best sticker I ever saw on a gangbox:

I'm here for money. If you want loyalty, get a dog.

Steve S

Yepr....LOL I saw that one too Steve.....I've seen some crazy one's for sure...I worked with a good ol country boy from texas this last go around at Roxol.......He was the worlds greatest source of natural gas...And without fail..ahe'd try an get ya first thing n the mornin....We'd literally have to back up..an he'd start fannin um toward ya...And with a big ol grin,he'd sniker & say...Hey...Which one a ya'll sh*# my pants...LMAO..Ya couldn't help but laff....WELL...I got home..was cruisin the sticker sites & sure enuf I found a sticker that said the very same thing.....I called um n told he needed to get that one for sure...Give folks some advance warning at least....LOL...