Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
88MOOSE88
    Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:13 am

I'm an apprentice and I have passed two codings.

I need to pass for my apprentice scheme full tig which I have passed.

I also need a tig root with a stick fill and cap.

My boss says I need to use e6013 for the test, but I've never heard of a test using e6013. Apparently all pipe welds on carbon steel are e6013 and only chrome moly uses e7018. I've talked to other apprentices who have passed the tig/stick test and they used e7018. I learnt to weld positional with e7018 and feel comfortable using them in all positions.

Personally I don't believe pressure pipe welds are made with e6013 and I think they are harder to use other than in the flat position. I have read and talked to welders and as far as I can tell e6013 is only used on basic brackets and supports.

My question is does anyone know anything about e6013 and pipe welding.

Cheers
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

While 6013 isn't used much on this side of the "pond" - I've been told it is used for pipe welding in other countries.
There is a welder that used to post on weldingweb that uses it all the time - his welds are super nice :)

I don't weld pipe, but I don't really find 6013 to weld much different than 7018. I keep a very tight arc, flux often touching the surface and weld away :)

Found the guy - he's from Ireland: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?19742-6013-dcen
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

pipe fitter / flange jockey is simply amazing with 6013. 8-)
http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?19 ... light=6013
coldman
  • coldman

G'day, here in the old days before tig was used for refrigeration pipework, all pipe welds were done with 6010 root and 6013 fill/cap. The welders were awesome and the welds they produced were beautiful to look at and never failed. There are probably welders still working this way somewhere, but 6013 is not used in any certification welding here, only low hydrogen rods.

I guess the big difference is the 6013 does not have the same strength as 70 series rods and theoretically the finished weld may not have the same or greater strength than the parent metal which is what we strive for in welding processes. Also not being hydrogen controlled, 6013 rods, strictly speaking, are not suitable for low temperature applications.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

I did a cellulose root 6013 fill n cap asme IX test lately.its used a bit but not as common as tig root lohy fill and cap or tig complete.or even lohy root to cap.
6013 isnt harder or easier to go round a pipe with than 7018, just different.if you can use one you should have no problem with the other.top of pipe is easier with 7018, bottom is easier with 6013 imo.
Dancing with the blue lady