Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I also took this 2G test with 1/8" Lincoln Excalibur 7018 at around 110 amps. Everything went good, just need to work on consistency a little more. To my knowledge, this is the first time I even attempted a 2G SMAW test before. I might do another to see if I can improve on my cover pass. We are scheduled to take all our test plates up Monday and I will let you know how it all turns out. Kinda excited, haven't taken a actual test in several years.
-Jonathan
Attachments
photo (9).JPG
photo (9).JPG (148.47 KiB) Viewed 1539 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll give the "VT" a pass...

Looks fine to me!

I don't see a lick of undercut at the top.

If you're dissatisfied with that weld, you have the same OCD thing I have, a challenge separating "good" from "perfect"... Separating fly-shit from pepper... :lol:

Nothing wrong with that weld I can see.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:I'll give the "VT" a pass...

Looks fine to me!

I don't see a lick of undercut at the top.

If you're dissatisfied with that weld, you have the same OCD thing I have, a challenge separating "good" from "perfect"... Separating fly-shit from pepper... :lol:

Nothing wrong with that weld I can see.

Steve S
I showed my wife what you said and she agreed completely with the OCD!!! She said to tell you "AMEN" :lol:
-Jonathan
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

I have the same issue, worry about my welds when others are happy to lay complete hammered crap.
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

If you guys were as self critical as you should be, then it would be CDO not OCD, in alphabetical order like it should be. :)

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len

So, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is this plate will not be tested since I did a 3G and that cover the 1G and 2G positions. We actually did these for fun mostly. The good news is, since it will not be tested I automatically give myself a pass. ;)
-Jonathan

Thanks Braehill. Now I'm completely messed up.

Mick
Drifta-X
    Mon May 26, 2014 2:53 am

Looks the same as my 2g

Well looks like there is hope for me yet.
Now to get a job where all my welding isn't tig
I have a soldering iron!

Drifta-X wrote:Looks the same as my 2g

Well looks like there is hope for me yet.
Now to get a job where all my welding isn't tig
Yeah, and maybe I can get a job where all I do isn't MIG :lol: Maybe we can set up a weldor exchange program 8-) :lol:
-Jonathan

I met a welder from the Shipyard branch of my company, he came to our facility for 2weeks. Because he was to weld on our jobs, he had to do the test plates first. 14 separate test plates (xray and break tests) in one day. There is a man proficient in a range of processes.

Mick

weldin mike 27 wrote:I met a welder from the Shipyard branch of my company, he came to our facility for 2weeks. Because he was to weld on our jobs, he had to do the test plates first. 14 separate test plates (xray and break tests) in one day. There is a man proficient in a range of processes.

Mick
Now that's impressive!!
-Jonathan
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Agreed- that is the real deal.
--Tater

He wasn't arrogant about it, but you could tell he was way above our league by his demeanour. Lol

I have worked with several like that in the past. When I first started to tig weld alum, there was a guy that was quite good and now works for a local company welding exotic metals. He looked at me like I was trash, never said a word but I could tell I wasn't worthy to breath his air :lol: Oh well...
-Jonathan
Adam's Got Skills
    Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:32 pm

Unfortunately Superior I've had some similar experience. I was told that these 3 guys were amazing welders and I saw their work and it was beautiful. But I had made the horrible mistake that I could ask them anything about any advice on how to better my abilities...An when I asked if I could just watch them once they instantly called my foreman over and told him to basically go do something away from them. My boss was kinda even like wow what jerks. An then told me well I guess you can just practice some welds if you want cuz you've done pretty much everything I could've asked you to do...or you can go home if ya wanna have a short day!!! I stayed and practiced but it really blew me away how some guys are about welding...Some guys I guess are like that....I'm glad I can at least come here an use this forum as an amazing tool. Thank God not everyone that has some knowledge on the subject are jerks.

Some guuys are unreal when it comes to helping others, but some just suck. I weld every damn day, and try my best. If someone needs help, I will give them all of my time and more if they are willing to learn.

Mick
    Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:25 pm

It's not just for ourselves- we need to keep the trades alive. I've been lucky that my pals want to pass on everything they know about fabrication and NDT to others who want to inherit the knowledge... including a lot of humility.
--Tater
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The first time I ever welded aluminum, it was for a job that did 10% x-ray. I was paired up with a guy who'd welded on nuke plants.

He couldn't read an isometric drawing to save his life, so we traded skills. He taught me to weld aluminum like a real pro, and, well, he never did learn to read an ISO... I did all that fitting... but I DID learn to weld aluminum pipe!

Steve S