Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm

I'm currently looking at a Thermal Arc 161s machine to get some practice on my stick welding... And to do a few projects in my garage as it has TIG capabilities as well. I have been hearing though that this machine doesn't run 6010 too well. Has any one used these machines b4 and if so did you have any problems running 6010? Any help would be appreciated.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

JerryWilliams wrote:I'm currently looking at a Thermal Arc 161s machine to get some practice on my stick welding... And to do a few projects in my garage as it has TIG capabilities as well. I have been hearing though that this machine doesn't run 6010 too well. Has any one used these machines b4 and if so did you have any problems running 6010? Any help would be appreciated.

You heard wrong.
The TA 161 ( Same thing as Esab 161) run 6010 very nice....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

The thermal arc 161 I tried struggled with 6010.not enough volts to keep them lit unless the rod is buried in the pool.
6011 they run just fine.
Dancing with the blue lady

thanks for the help guys. ill be getting 6010 and 6011 and whichever runs better will be what i use
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I had the Esab 161, and as far as I know, they are the same machines.

Just different paint and stickers....

Burned 6010 and 7018 very nice.
IMG_3423.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG (85.01 KiB) Viewed 2160 times
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
dsmabe
    Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I have a Everlast Powertig 185 and have been wondering if it would run 6010 because I have heard the same, inverter machines dont run it well unless designed for it.
I might pick up a small box and see how it runs.
wheresmejumper

I've never used the esab , but I think it's 80 OCV versus 71v on the TA. That's what it looks like from the manual

The everlast is not recommended for 6010.they have a designated 200 amp stick welder to run them though
dsmabe

That's what I've read, but my 185 seems to stick weld better than a Lincoln invertec I've used at work. Granted they are both inverter machines but mine runs stick so smooth, I have a hard time thinking it would have a hard time running any type of electrode.
wheresmejumper

Surprised to hear that really.i have found Lincoln to be far better sick welders
Even run through the 6010 port,my everlast couldn't keep ignited when even moderately whipping 6010.it was okay for when gap and heat was good,but couldn't keep up when you needed to manipulate it
dsmabe

I haven't ran the Lincoln at work a lot, where I've practiced with my everlast quite a bit. I use Lincoln 3/32 6013 on both, but my welder doesn't seem to stick as much and feels very smooth running. The Lincoln just feels more harsh to me.
From what I found, I believe there is a digital and analog version of the invertec, the one at work is the analog version if that makes a difference.
    Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
    Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts

My Everlast PowerArc 300 will run 6010 almost as good as my Lincoln Invertec V350-Pro. The V350-Pro has way more range with the arc force. But for under $300.00 I think the PA-300 does very well with 6010.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Shield Arc,
Once again you impress us!! Very nice roots there.
-Jonathan

Thank you Jonathan! ;) But, it ain't me! It's all in the welding machine. Like my Dynasty 300 almost made a Tig welder out of me. :lol:
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Shield Arc wrote:Thank you Jonathan! ;) But, it ain't me! It's all in the welding machine. Like my Dynasty 300 almost made a Tig welder out of me. :lol:
Well a machine can only make up half of the skill, the rest is up to the nut behind the helmet :lol:
-Jonathan
wheresmejumper

Nice roots.did you not grind the restarts?

When practicing I prefer not to grind the restarts in order to improve my skill with them. However on a test I will for sure grind them if a grinder is allowed.

wheresmejumper wrote:Nice roots.did you not grind the restarts?
Yes I feather the stops. Just being a hobbyist welder I forget to punch the rod through the pipe when I'm getting ready to stop. Us old guys forget so much! :x Punching the rod through to make more of keyhole really helps with the looks on the restarts.
wheresmejumper

Another trick is when you're coming off a feather,when you hear the arc blow through to inside the pipe,pause for about a second or two and then move on.burns in lovely
I had a habit of moving on without pausing and it never was consistent.
From about 10 to 2 o clock pause too long and that pool will sink into the pipe though
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Anyone care to explain this to me, never welded pipe, but also only seen this is my old ass welding book from the sixties.

Mick
Attachments
IMG_20141025_112845_859.jpg
IMG_20141025_112845_859.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 1453 times