Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
stevenopolis
    Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 am

So.. doing some vertical. I'm what one would consider an industrial hobbyist, IE I fix broken plant parts and equipment parts. Any tips for vertical other than the Z weave? I'm using an old powcon 300st that, when set at what should be 125A, launches molten fireballs everywhere. I'm going by what I know for heat, a nice low profile bead when holding a tight arc, less than 1/8", flat. I use that setting for overhead and flat with no problem. I'm just struggling with vertical. Don't laugh too hard when you see this.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1421686276461.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1421686276461.jpg (42.55 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
    Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:11 pm

I would suggest turning it down on the vertical for now. Maybe try 110-115.

If you are practicing on material 3/16-1/4 thick you could turn it down farther.

As you move the rod side to side, spend more time on the sides and less in the middle.

Have a good day.
Gerald
Gerald Austin
If I didn't say it in the post- Have a great day !
Greeneville Tn
prdmetalworks
    Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:55 pm

I agree with this guy ^^^^^^
Lower amperage & hold them sides a little longer to get rid of that undercut. I usually hold the sides a bout a full 1 second & just pass through the center on my way to the opposite side.
MikeDiP7
    Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:06 am

Lower amps, 7018 shouldnt splatter much. Hold the sides till you see the puddle moving with you, and tighten up your weave
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Set your machine 100-110amps.....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
p4nh4ndle
    Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:04 pm

I found running little circles (like really little, maybe just a little bobble from side to side) and really pushing the rod into the puddle helped me make nice vertical stringers using 7018. Like push the rod in so you occasionally feel the flux tapping or dragging on the base metal. Also, allowing enough time for your workpiece to cool (or quenching, when practicing) between passes helps keep things under control.
Wyogoose
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:38 am

Are you sure that you are DC electrode positive?
Diesel
    Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Same as others. Not much time in the middle. Whip the rod to the side don't drag it and focus on the puddle. You need to see it wash in on both sides before moving or your not accomplishing much. 7018 has a tendency to fool you with the slag.
Country isn't country unless it's classic.
Owr
  • Owr
    Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:45 am

It may sound strange but for learning to control the puddle on vertical welding, stainless steel with rutile electrodes is the best learning tool. You lower the amperage (a lot), hold a tight arc and get the feel for it just moving up with no or very little weaving. Up and down motion with the electrode is not advisable since you overheat the base metal too much. Let say 2,5 mm rod on 5 mm sheet. Just keep a really tight arc, steady hand and don`t rush. Watch the puddle how it behaves, how the molten slag runs and solidifies as you progress upward. Most importantly, don`t rush it.

p.s.: Dry electrodes (esp. basic type) help also:)