Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

What's "dig?" And "arc force?"
My Lincoln doesn't have these settings. I know its not a fancy machine, but are the AC/DC 225/125's more suited to a certain rod? It's not often I wander to the stick forum, cause we use mig and tig at work, but now that I'm welding with my machines at home more, its time to head over and do some learnin.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

http://welding-tv.com/?s=dig+setting
check this video out
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
nathan

motox wrote:http://welding-tv.com/?s=dig+setting
check this video out
craig
Perfect. Thanks a lot! So, I need to find the sweet spot on my machine, as far as arc length vs amps for a given rod. I like to feel the flux like Jody, but I don't remember sticking the rod. Mine is a standard, low-tech transformer/rectifier machine. No fancy settings on the cracker box.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I start with a 6010 about 60 on the dig and 7018 around 10. Then I adjust from there depending on how much crap I couldn't grind off of the base metal or what I need the weld to look like. If you have never played with your dig setting before run a few beads with whatever rod you have on the low end then crank it up to the max for a few passes so you can feel the difference.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
nathan

Poland308 wrote:I start with a 6010 about 60 on the dig and 7018 around 10. Then I adjust from there depending on how much crap I couldn't grind off of the base metal or what I need the weld to look like. If you have never played with your dig setting before run a few beads with whatever rod you have on the low end then crank it up to the max for a few passes so you can feel the difference.
I don't have dig on my cracker box. That's why I was wondering lol. Maybe one day I will have an inverter based machine, but that will be a long time.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Hey Nathan, I actually used a lincoln 225/125 machine Saturday.
Burned 1/2 of a 1/8" 6010, and 1/2 of a 3/32" 7018. Welded a little part at a friends shop.
Both at 95amps. Dc.

Welded nice as any machine.

Nobody really needs dig, it's just nice to have once in a while.

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
nathan

AKweldshop wrote:Hey Nathan, I actually used a lincoln 225/125 machine Saturday.
Burned 1/2 of a 1/8" 6010, and 1/2 of a 3/32" 7018. Welded a little part at a friends shop.
Both at 95amps. Dc.

Welded nice as any machine.

Nobody really needs dig, it's just nice to have once in a while.

John
Awesome! I haven't tried any 6010 yet, just 7018 and 7018AC. The 7018AC, I ran at 135AC, and the 7018H4R was a 3/32" Excalibur that I think I ran at 75 DC+. I originally bought it for my TIG rig, but it ended up paying itself off on that bumper job that you saw on Instagram. I oughtta try 6010 on the next job... I remember liking it in school.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
Jeremy
    Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:30 pm

when learning to weld 7018 1/8" do not exceed 110 amps DCEP do not whip and pause.
nathan

Jeremy wrote:when learning to weld 7018 1/8" do not exceed 110 amps DCEP do not whip and pause.
Huh?
Why not?

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
Poland308

It's too hot for that rod and the motion can entrap slag in the weld that would show up on an X-ray. Until you get some practice after that you might easily run up to 130 amps with a 1/8 in 7018. Depending on position and material thickness.

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Jeremy wrote:when learning to weld 7018 1/8" do not exceed 110 amps DCEP do not whip and pause.
I agree, do not whip out of the puddle - not designed for that.

But the amps I respectfully disagree - 125 amp minimum for me - personal preference :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You can whip 7018 just fine. Many pros do it.
And 110amps is the minimum for 1/8" 7018.

Get your fact straight.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
nathan

MinnesotaDave wrote:
I agree, do not whip out of the puddle - not designed for that.

But the amps I respectfully disagree - 125 amp minimum for me - personal preference :)
I was thinking the same thing. I like mine about 135.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

There are no pro's whipping 7018.cowboys might do
Dancing with the blue lady
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Turned hot enough, any rod in skilled hands will weld without sticking. The most revered stick welder ever, the Lincoln SA series hasn't got it. That said, I tried the Dynasty up with 1/8 7018. It's pretty cool. Neat toy, not worth suicide if you don't have it.
Jeremy

nathan wrote:
Huh?
Why not?
in addition to slag inclusions the whip and pause motion can allow for serious undercut, especially if welding in a groove.
Jeremy

in addition to trapping slag (and a lot of it) the whip and pause motion with 7018 cause serious undercut especially if welding in a groove.
nathan

Jeremy wrote:in addition to trapping slag (and a lot of it) the whip and pause motion with 7018 cause serious undercut especially if welding in a groove.
I know not to whip, thats not my style. But 110A is really low.

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
Jeremy

AKweldshop wrote:

Get your fact straight.

the min amps for 7018 is 90 @ 1/8" http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c21010.pdf
Jeremy

nathan wrote:
Jeremy wrote:in addition to trapping slag (and a lot of it) the whip and pause motion with 7018 cause serious undercut especially if welding in a groove.
I know not to whip, thats not my style. But 110A is really low.
i also originally said learning, as skill increases the amps travel speed and specific angles become more of a preference and the material being worked with has some bearing on the amps used.

someone using 7018 for the first time doesn't have the same skill to control the same sized puddle as some of the more experienced welders. on some of the projects I've done the amps have been as high as 160 (max Recommended amps for 1/8"), but i don't recommend that for the people learning.
Jeremy

Jeremy wrote:
AKweldshop wrote:

Get your fact straight.

the min amps for 7018 is 90 @ 1/8" http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/g ... c21010.pdf
they dont if it goes through ultra sound or xray
wheresmejumper

Jeremy wrote:
nathan wrote:
Huh?
Why not?
in addition to slag inclusions the whip and pause motion can allow for serious undercut, especially if welding in a groove.
That isnt the problem with 7018.it is not whipped as it will lose gas shielding and result in porosity.sometimes visible to the naked eye,sometimes not.
Low hydrogen rods are particularly sensitive to arc length because of this.
Jeremy

[/quote]
That isnt the problem with 7018.it is not whipped as it will lose gas shielding and result in porosity.sometimes visible to the naked eye,sometimes not.
Low hydrogen rods are particularly sensitive to arc length because of this.[/quote]
I strongly agree; other problems like undercut, overlap, slag inclusions, incomplete fusion, and lack of fusion have a higher probability of occurrence using a whip and pause manipulation with a low hydrogen rod.
Poland308

It is a good practice to start your arc in the weld area just ahead of were you want the puddle and then carry it back to your start spot so that by the time you get a puddle started you will have some gas from the flux to avoid pin holes on your start up on a bead.

Josh
wheresmejumper

Jeremy wrote:
I strongly agree; other problems like undercut, overlap, slag inclusions, incomplete fusion, and lack of fusion have a higher probability of occurrence using a whip and pause manipulation with a low hydrogen rod.[/quote]
What you listed are possible problems encountered with every type of rod,but due to improper technique when whipping.all can be avoided with the right technique.the only thing you cant work around,is the loss of gas shielding.