Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Northern Stickburner
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 am

Can anyone tell me with a 6010 rod, which will penatrate
More into 1/2 inch mild steel, 1/8" or 3/16"? Do the thicker rods penetrate more than the thinner ones at the equilivent amps for that diameter or do they just put down more metal?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If the heat input is the same, the only difference is the amount of weld deposit.

That said, I prefer the rod dia. to match the gap.

Steve S
OzFlo
    Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Welcome to the forum Northern Stickburner! :)
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Great question and welcome to the forum!

So we get into welding theory here, which I enjoy quite a lot. Let's assume that both are running at 120 amps. The 1/8" electrode would penetrate quite well and let's also assume that is on the high end of its sweet spot. Now let's assume at 120 amps with the 3/16" electrode this is on the low side to the point of not quote being enough to run that size well. The 1/8" would in theory now penetrate better than the 3/16" because the larger rod does not have enough amperage to have the desired arc force and drive that filler in there. If you increased the 3/16" to 150 amps than our story might change change and it would have better pen. You also get into the theory of weld fusion verses weld penetration. You can have fun weld fusion (bonded on the molecular level but not very deep into base metal) on the lower amperage but what you are after (most but not all the time) is depth of fusion, or penetration.

Better stop there. This is as simple as I can explain without using all the big words so to speak. :lol:
-Jonathan

Jonathan,

I assume you're trying to compare 1/8 to 5/32?

3/16 is a big jump from 1/8, and your numbers don't jive...

Steve S
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Steve,
No I was just throwing an amperage number out to be generic. The 3/16" electrode would be much higher for sure.

I guess I should have asked if we are compairing amperage being the same for both electrodes or general penetration available for the two given rod sizes.
Jonathan

My mistake...

Carry on.

Steve S
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

"At the equivalent amps for that diameter..."

I think he means normal operating amps for each electrode size.so yes,a bigger rod running at its optimum setting will penetrate more than a smaller rod
Dancing with the blue lady
Northern Stickburner
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 am

Thanks for the info. The reason I was asking is I have a Hobart 180 mig welder and just picked an old Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC stick welder for dirt cheap. I figured with a 50 amp 230V power supply wich I already have I could run 5/32" rods without a problem rather than going through the expense of hooking it up for full power (100AMPS) that I don't need. I think that will be plenty for 1/2" mild steel that is too much for my Mig welder.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Your plan sounds good to me - Dialarcs are nice machines :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.