Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi, Everyone.

I've been practicing running a hot pass uphill (second pass) on pipe using E6010 rather than E7018, and find it difficult as the bead appearance is poor and there's a lot of slag entrapment. Typically this pass is filled with E7018 (which is way easier), but I wanted to practice as some jobs will allow and/or encourage the use of 6010 because it's suppose to be faster. I've tried two techniques with the same results; a weave pattern and whip and pause. For a test there is no way I would be comfortable using 6010 this way. I'm interested in others' thoughts about this and any advice. Thanks.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If your going to do it you need to take a thin wheel and grind the top of the root clean and then bump up your amps. I've only done this in a few occasions. But the best results I got was with almost no weave just steady travel.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I grind down the root pass until it's smooth, but haven't tried just traveling along with the electrode (I'll try it in the morning). Other than poor appearance, the big is issue is slag entrapment-especially at the toes of the joint. As much as I've practiced doing it this way, I'm beginning to believe it would be nearly impossible to pass any kind of weld and/or bend test this way. Thanks for the advice.
wheresmejumper
    Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm

9 times out of 10 a 6010 hotpass is run downhill
Dancing with the blue lady
plain ol Bill
    Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Downhand with the largest diameter rod you can use.
Tired old welder
CNC plasma cutter
Colorful shop w/
Red, blue, yellow, purple, and Hypertherm silver equip.

I'm aware of running 6010 downhill on the root, fill and cap when pipeline welding. However, someone mentioned to me that running 6010 uphill as the hot pass is permitted on tests and some jobs. They also said it's faster and easier than using 7018.

From practicing this method it seems it could be allowed, but would take much longer because more time is spent grinding due to slag entrapment. Which is likely a result of my techniques, which have included a whipping and weave methods. Regardless, I'm sticking with using 7018. It's much easier and less grinding.

Thanks for the input and replies.

OK, so I've been practicing a little more running 6010 uphill for the hot pass and the photo attached is what I've got so far. I still need more practice but it's gotten much better. The coupon is in 5G, and the pic only shows one side (you'll notice it was taken before the other side was welded).
Attachments
5P 1.jpg
5P 1.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 1828 times