It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:37 pm Advanced search

7018 on AC

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

7018 on AC

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

An instructor from the local tech school came to our high school today and did some assessment and demonstrations and dripped off a bunch of stuff. Aluminum and steel drops, some tig filler, and a 25 lb box of 3/32" Excalibur 7018s. All we have at school is an old Airco AC buzzbox and I know it is possible to run 7018s on AC but I'm looking for tips. Any advice for running them on AC. Amps, technique, angle, anything at all will help
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Re: 7018 on AC

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Farmwelding wrote:An instructor from the local tech school came to our high school today and did some assessment and demonstrations and dripped off a bunch of stuff. Aluminum and steel drops, some tig filler, and a 25 lb box of 3/32" Excalibur 7018s. All we have at school is an old Airco AC buzzbox and I know it is possible to run 7018s on AC but I'm looking for tips. Any advice for running them on AC. Amps, technique, angle, anything at all will help

No student will ever go into the field and weld 7018 on AC. Yes, they make a so-called 7018AC rod, but it will not meet any code that will pay a welder real money.

This needs to be taught on a DC machine.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Yes I know and that was the first thing I told my teacher-we should get a DC stick machine. But that's bot going to happen unless I run the old Airco at 180 amps for 10 hours straight and then do that to the other old Airco. All I know is that we have 25 lb of them and they are all mine probably so any rod I can burn is helpful just to get the whole arc length and rod angle down.

Although it's funny... I don't know why but we probably have 20 lbs of 6010 electrodes in the back room and have always only had the Aircos. Fun fact-they don't run well on AC. That's what happens when I get bored I try new things just to get more hood time. I figure 25 lbs will keep me busy and out of my teachers hair
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Poleframer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Hah, here's an opportunity to show you can do what it takes to get er done. Get some big diodes (only takes 4 of them), I got a box of them that would do, and make a bridge rectifier, like the one Jody has on the AC buzzbox in one of his vids, and walla...DC
REALLY isnt rocket science, and would be a good project if you can, then burn 7018 to your hearts desire.
Probably wouldnt have to do it in a real welding shop, but you gotta learn how to make the best of what ya have and show brain power, which is really what counts.
Poleframer

Postby Farmwelding » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

Nope... didnt go-our buzz box will not run them. Tried for a half an hour and nothing
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Nope... didnt go-our buzz box will not run them. Tried for a half an hour and nothing

Strange, I've run them on the cheap AC 225 Lincolns and a Century 225/125 buzz box (plus a couple others). :?:

They were a little harder to start and took a longer scratch than usual, went out now and then but overall ran OK.

Wouldn't want to do it all the time though.

One thing I noticed is that machines with a high/low tap needed to be on the low range side.

The low range side has higher OCV which translated into a higher welding voltage (7018 likes voltage :) ).
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:38 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Nope... didnt go-our buzz box will not run them. Tried for a half an hour and nothing

Strange, I've run them on the cheap AC 225 Lincolns and a Century 225/125 buzz box (plus a couple others). :?:

They were a little harder to start and took a longer scratch than usual, went out now and then but overall ran OK.

One thing I noticed is that machines with a high/low tap needed to be on the low range side.

The low range side has higher OCV which translated into a higher welding voltage (7018 likes voltage :) ).

Yeah, about an hour I posted that I thought about switching the leads since it has a low and high side. Ill give it a go here in another hour or so and try it.
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby MinnesotaDave » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:

Yeah, about an hour I posted that I thought about switching the leads since it has a low and high side. Ill give it a go here in another hour or so and try it.

Interesting side note: In general with either AC or DC, when switched to high range, which is low OCV, the puddle behaves similar to when running an SA-200 on a higher coarse range/low fine.

In general, 7018 does not prefer this setting on an SA-200, they like lower coarse range/high fine.

I've done this (used the high range) with Miller Dialarcs to make a 6010 vertical up puddle less fluid for a student.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 pm

Just for you farmer.

I ran about 5# of 3/32 7018 DC and then 2# of 3/32 7018 AC. The arc force and amps all the same. I found the AC stuff to have a hard arc start.Compared to the D.C. Plus it seamed as though the weld was more like a 6013. It was spongy compared to other 7018 on D.C.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Poland308 wrote:Just for you farmer.

I ran about 5# of 3/32 7018 DC and then 2# of 3/32 7018 AC. The arc force and amps all the same. I found the AC stuff to have a hard arc start.Compared to the D.C. Plus it seamed as though the weld was more like a 6013. It was spongy compared to other 7018 on D.C.

That's why I like this place.
Someone will take a minute to do the experiment, and report the results.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding