It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 am Advanced search

Stainless Steel SMAW Tips

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Stainless Steel SMAW Tips

Postby Easy10pins » Fri May 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Greetings all,

Does anyone have any helpful tips in regards to SS SMAW?

I need to test in about a month.

3/8" 304 stainless steel plate test, 3G and 4G positions using 308L-16 electrodes.

My boss was kind enough to order me a test coupon kit from www.trieng.com. 3 coupons with backing strips so I can run some mock tests.

Help a brother welder out. My job depends on it. :D

Thanks and stay safe....
"Go as far as you can see and once you are there, go farther."
Easy10pins
Workhorse

Re: Stainless Steel SMAW Tips

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Stainless MMA/Stick/SMAW, in those two positions in particular, is a delicate balance of heat control and travel speed. In Europe, they've gotten quite smart about it, using a remote (pedal or hand amptrol) to regulate heat input. The North American user is relegated to using travel speed to control heat input. It's super-easy to get a spot too hot, and have your puddle simply drip out on your toes. You must stay alert to the width of your puddle; This will tell you the relative heat input versus metal temperature in front of you.

My two cents. I always had a challenge with the welds you're testing, and never did get enough practice to master them.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 pm

I've done about 10# of 316. And a little more than that of 309. It feels watery. It takes a while to get used to the slag as well it looks spongy when your welding. Like tig on aluminum there's a fine line between welding ok and then having everything just drop out. I have a real hard time with slag inclusions on vertical up or 6 g on pipe.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Fri May 19, 2017 9:15 pm

"Watery" is an excellent description, Josh.

In my first attempt, that was what I observed; The transition from "This is going well," to "This went to hell," is a fine line.

Steve
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Easy10pins » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 am

Well damn, perhaps I should talk with my PM and maybe run a different process like FCAW. :lol:

The project I'm working on is inside a 120 foot shaft. I'll be welding stainless steel brackets on the walls to hang scaffolding. I'll be working inside of a man cage suspended by a crane. Fun fun fun.
Easy10pins
Workhorse

Postby Poland308 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Those are the jobs you never forget. Take your time don't let others rush you. If you don't like the look of a weld grind it out till you do. Other people's safety rely on it. Jobs like that are the ones you get extra respect for not having rework. Don't worry about the fact that every person who goes down the scaffolding after it's installed will be eye balling your work while saying things like ( I could have done a better job then that) !

Oh! And become one with the basket. Work the sway into your weave. :D
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Sat May 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Fcaw on stainless is pretty similar to regular steel (imo). I've never done stick on stainless, but have done a bit of fcaw. It was no big deal.
PeteM
Ace

Postby Olivero » Sun May 21, 2017 9:40 am

Easy10pins wrote:Well damn, perhaps I should talk with my PM and maybe run a different process like FCAW. :lol:

The project I'm working on is inside a 120 foot shaft. I'll be welding stainless steel brackets on the walls to hang scaffolding. I'll be working inside of a man cage suspended by a crane. Fun fun fun.

That does sound like fun,

Hopefully you can throw some pictures up here of that.

For sticking S.S It is very true what's been said already, very fine line there.

I find that whipping the rod occasionally as it starts going south can help keep the heat input accectable and not blob out on you. Other than that, I would assume you are pretty well versed in what you are doing,.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby Easy10pins » Sun May 21, 2017 11:40 am

Olivero wrote:
Easy10pins wrote:Well damn, perhaps I should talk with my PM and maybe run a different process like FCAW. :lol:

For sticking S.S It is very true what's been said already, very fine line there.

I find that whipping the rod occasionally as it starts going south can help keep the heat input accectable and not blob out on you. Other than that, I would assume you are pretty well versed in what you are doing,.

All I can do is practice and run some test plates to get comfortable enough to get certified but at this point, I don't feel comfortable taking this cert. test for SMAW.

Even with the practice, I keep reaching that fine line between HELL YEAH and OH F**K.

I'll take my PM out for beer and bowling this week and push the FCAW idea instead. :mrgreen:
Easy10pins
Workhorse

Postby Olivero » Sun May 21, 2017 6:12 pm

Easy10pins wrote:
Olivero wrote:

All I can do is practice and run some test plates to get comfortable enough to get certified but at this point, I don't feel comfortable taking this cert. test for SMAW.

Even with the practice, I keep reaching that fine line between HELL YEAH and OH F**K.

I'll take my PM out for beer and bowling this week and push the FCAW idea instead. :mrgreen:

Why not get super serious and propose to TIG it?
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding