Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
flynntr
    Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 am

Hi,
I’m a person who loves welding. I have a workshop near my house where I weld small appliances. The workshop and the house have the same electrical connection. My wife complains that there are some short circuit issues inside the house while I do welding. Last day my Tv got damaged. I think it’s the problem with the wiring in my house. My wife is urging me to redo the wiring but I don’t know whether this is necessary. She had shown me the website of an agency which do electrical works(http://www.theshockdoctors.ca/) but I have no idea about them. Is here anyone who have experience with their service. If yes please share your experiences….Also is it legal to use the same connection for both the house and workshop?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Power fluctuations or shorts circuits on main power supply's is a red flag!!! Legal or not there is a serious risk of fire! Property damage or loss of life! If the company is licensed then I would at leads call them to have them look at your troubles. Last time I saw power issues like you describe we shut off all power to a whole building till it was sorted out.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
flynntr
    Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks for the reply Poland. Yes the company is licensed but the thing I need to know is whether I can use the same connection for both the home and workshop
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

flynntr wrote:Thanks for the reply Poland. Yes the company is licensed but the thing I need to know is whether I can use the same connection for both the home and workshop
You can, but your sub-panel should have it's own independent ground rod at your workshop. This will prevent high-frequency issues from feeding back into your home's power distribution.

If you have little experience with mains power and home distribution, as your questions imply, you would do well to have a licensed electrician evaluate your situation.

Steve S
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I agree. If you're having serious issues, stop welding and get it checked out.