Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

Question for you pipe welders and users of engine-drive welders -

Just got a Miller engine drive with the coarse and fine controls (like an SA-200), and I'm trying to get it dialed in for 1/8" 6010 and 7018.

If you're using 6010 and you want a lot of dig (like for a deep root), is it correct that if you had a choice between two coarse ranges, you would normally use the higher coarse tap, and a lower fine adjustment ... and that this would make the rod "stickier" when you try to start the arc (since OCV is lower), but less sticky when you push the rod down tighter to the puddle (since the amperage would go up when you lower the arc voltage by shortening the arc length)?

And if you're using 7018 and you don't want a lot of dig/penetration, is it correct that if you had a choice between two coarse ranges, you would normally use the lower coarse tap and a higher fine adjustment ... and that this would make the rod less sticky when you start the arc (since OCV would be higher), but more sticky when you shorten the arc/snuff it out, since it wouldn't have as much "dig"?

I know the fine adjustment rheostat on my machine raises/lowers OCV between 58 and 88VDC...

Thanks for any help here.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That sounds about right but not sure about your specific welders controls - I had a Petbow which are awesome if big & noisy - on those the amps & volts are on separate controls & you can get any combination you like - only American set we have is a Ranger 305D & they are inverter so the " dig " function shows as a separate small knob hidden under a panel - assuming yours behaves like the Sa series then maybe watch " Fieldres " video on YouTube as he covers your exact question - he does rant a bit in that 1 as I recall - been discussed here a few times but he really seems to know his " stuff ".
Lightning

Thanks, NoddyBrian. I looked and found what I suspect is the video you're talking about here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZGxFs0bJQ

Only watched about a quarter of it so far, but it sounds like he's saying to do the opposite of what I'm saying. For 7018, it seems like he's saying to use a high coarse adjustment and a low fine (V/A) adjustment.

Over at rigwelder forum, I saw a guy say that lo-hy rod (7018 I'm assuming) should be run with a low coarse and high fine adjustment (easy to remember -- run lo-hy on low gear high range).

Then again, Fieldres is using a SA-200, and somebody told me the SA-200 is "backwards" from the way my Miller machine works.

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to have to watch it all the way through and then try what he says and see what's what.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

That's the one - sorry - got very bad internet here & video's often don't work or I'd have tried to find it for you - not sure how your welder is compared with the SA Lincoln's - trouble I find is no 2 machines weld quite the same even if similar models / years - the Sa's do have a different amp / volt curve compared with many other machines so maybe what Travis says only applies to them - in general though if you have a " dig " or " arc force " control then most people will run with it fairly low > off when using 7018 & high ( about 3/4 ) on cellulose rods ( if you use them ) plus individual style plays a part as well - a mate of mine has had a Miller Maxstar 200DX for several years & loves it - but only welds 7018 - he came down to ask me what he needed to set it up for Tig as I joked with him he brings anything that requires Tig welding to me! - I'd never seen a DX or even a 200 - all of them I come across are basic 160's - his is pretty much a Dynasty without the AC - I scrolled though the settings with him to make sure he knew what was what before buying a torch & getting robbed by BOC ! found the dig set to 70 & asked why he liked it this way & he never knew what it did - I put it down to 0 to try & told him most folks probably have it on 20 > 25 but he likes it off - point is you can get used to settings on about any welder & get the job done - sometimes it's worth playing around even if how you like it is'nt what most others use - I think Travis has pretty set views based on his experience which seems to be almost exclusively pipe - could be different if doing structural / beams etc - what model is your Miller - maybe someone here has the same & can help - if it's a trailblazer Lanse's mate schneetiger77 ( Pete ) has one & might be of help.
Lightning

Thanks again, NoddyBrian. That all makes sense. Machine is a Big Blue 251-D. (Not using it for pipe, just structural.)