Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Jman1989
    Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:24 pm

I've seen this discussed extensively and watched the different videos pertaining to it but for some reason it's just not working. I'm fairly new to this so bare with me. I've got some 3/8 plate 3/32 gap and land. I'm using an everlast 200st welder I can get the puddle going at first everything seems to be going fine then all hell breaks loose lol. The keyhole starts opening up I try stepping out farther doesn't seem to help I've tried everything short of dropping the amps even more. I've been running at 70 amps and I'm wondering if maybe the welder is running hotter than it displays or if it's just me any help/tips would be appreciated thanks in advance.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to introduce yourself!

Sometimes when this is new to you, maybe you want to operate at lower amperage before moving up to higher settings. Try moving down to about 65. Don't worry about what the Youtube video's say. Just learn to work the gap. Also,make sure that you have the rod stuck down into the keyhole; don't be afraid of burying that sucker. To me, when the keyhole is larger, I whip up longer to allow the deposit that I leave to cool. When the keyhole is smaller, I don't have to whip so far. It is never the same and always changes from moment to moment.

As I say, turn the machine down as you are learning. Learn to do the open root. It takes awhile to understand what is happening, and how to react. For me, I like a larger gap. I will run a 1/8" gap with a 3/16" land. I love open roots and have never met one I didn't like. The worse they are the better. It is not that I am such a good welder, but the crappy, garbage welding I did as a learner back in the 1970's prepared me for doing open root.

Let us know how it works out for you!
Gary
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Jman. welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Welcome. Like Gary said if your just starting out lower your amps a bit. I personally like a little bit more land. I run about 1/8. As far as how far to stick it in try envisioning pushing the end of your rod all the way down like your trying to weld the back side of the metal.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Tommy2069
    Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:03 am

from the amps your running i take it your useing 3/32 rods try a 1/8 rod and see how it does.3/32 rods tend to heat up very fast and by the time you burn half the rod it will start to get so hot that it will just burn through the material your welding.i only use 3/32 rods when i'm welding 2" pipe or smaller anything larger and i run a 1/8 rod because it will burn more steady after you get past the half way point of the rod.
Drunken Moose
    Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:53 am

Currently taking my pressure pipe course. We are practicing using long flatbar with 3/32 land, 3/32 gap and 1/8 6010. I have been running at about 85A on flat and horizontal without problem mostly. However, I had a tack let go and spread apart. When it opened up, I had to really step out. When you are doing that, watch the puddle. I was getting back into it too fast and kept loosing control. The instructor pointed this out and if you watch the puddle, you will notice it kind of "flutters" while it cools, once it stops that fluttering you can step back in. Hope this helps from one somewhat novice to another.

The other thing, like others mentioned, is push that rod in there and almost imagine welding the back side. If you can see the arc, it probably isn't in there enough. When moving along the root, I would describe it feeling as running a stick through thick mud, keeping the arc tight in there, and staying ahead just enough so it doesn't open up on me.

Like I said, i'm a somewhat novice as well, so take what I say lightly. Just my perspective of what has helped me so far and maybe can help another. Good luck!