Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Seniorsparks
    Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:13 am

I have to convert a tractor bucket to a different style tractor a skid stir Bucket to a John Deere quick disconnect Bucket , The tractor bucket material is 3/16 " thick on the flat backside of the bucket where I have to attach two pieces of 1/2" plate One on each side to the back of the bucket that will except the John Deere brackets that will attached to the tractor , so I'm looking for recommendations on how to do this, my stick welder is a 200 amp inverter welder I have approximately 150 amps DC maximum available on my welder because of my electrical power supply in my born it only has a 240 V ((30 amp circuit)) , what I was thinking is because the tractor bucket is only 3/16 inch thick that I should possibly bevel the edge of the half inch plate down so I have about 1/4 inch Of Face Where the welding will be applied Using a lap joint, the 1/2" plate will be welded over the top of the 3/16 inch plate would this be a good idea to bevel the edge down to a quarter inch , next thing I guess would be 7018 running on DC positive ? What size electro should I use , all Welding will be done flat horizontal, would appreciate any help from any experienced welders.
Last edited by Seniorsparks on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Your plan looks like a solid one. I would use 7018 in a 3/32 size running about 70-80 amps. Depending on your machine.
I have more questions than answers

Josh