Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Arlo3131
    Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 pm

I've never welded, but I'm gonna learn stick. Bought a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC for $75. Rough shape (dirty). I'm restoring it (New power cord, new electrode holder, new ground clamp). I have a 30 amp breaker I run my generator off of. I made a cord (4 prong) from outlet to generator. Can I run this welder off same outlet? Or should I install a 50 amp breaker and make a power cord (3 prong) from outlet to welder? Also, what gauge wire should I use to make this power cord. What cleaner do I use to clean up the inside of this welder, and what grease do I use (and how to use it) on the amperage handle? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Forgot - Can't find a serial number for this machine. The top front has a style number of JA-21. Any idea what year this is?
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Arlo3131 wrote:I've never welded, but I'm gonna learn stick. Bought a Miller Thunderbolt 225 AC for $75. Rough shape (dirty). I'm restoring it (New power cord, new electrode holder, new ground clamp). I have a 30 amp breaker I run my generator off of. I made a cord (4 prong) from outlet to generator. Can I run this welder off same outlet? Or should I install a 50 amp breaker and make a power cord (3 prong) from outlet to welder? Also, what gauge wire should I use to make this power cord. What cleaner do I use to clean up the inside of this welder, and what grease do I use (and how to use it) on the amperage handle? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Forgot - Can't find a serial number for this machine. The top front has a style number of JA-21. Any idea what year this is?
30 amp should be ok for low amp output maybe like 120 amps but what you can do is start out low and slowly bring up the amps ie start at maybe 100, move to 110, 120, 130 ect burning a few rods each run then letting the braker cool before you proceed to the next amperage.. go untill you hit something you cant make it threw a full rod with out poping the braker.. then from there say it pops at 155 amps back your max down to 135 amps...

for a cord i would get atleast 10 gauge and keep it short under 20 feet. if you can get a 8 gauge cord stock get that.. but for the love of god do not put it on anything less then 10 gauge.. for 1 you run the risk of melting it, 2 you will stress the machine with voltage drop...

for the grease use Dielectric type,

for cleaning it out use 90% rubbing alcohol this will clean and degreese well but will also evaporate as anything liquid will conduct electricity unless its dielectric.

oh yeah "safty blue" is close to miller blue.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Arlo3131
    Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks! This helps me a lot. I'll probably go with 8 gauge.