Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

anyone here know much about engine drive welders?
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Any specifics because I'm sure there is a vast amount of info if you ask more specific questions. Models, size, age anything at all would be helpful for you.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
ryanjames170

Farmwelding wrote:Any specifics because I'm sure there is a vast amount of info if you ask more specific questions. Models, size, age anything at all would be helpful for you.
more or less just engine drives in general that are not newer ones.. i have a miller 2E but i was curious more on how they weld vs a non engine drive.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It's common that the first thing you will notice is that there is a noticeable lag to the arc. It can take a bit for the engine to ramp up. Most engine driven units will have a switch to hold it in high idle if your doing something that requires not fighting the lag while you strike an arc. I've only ever stick and scratch start tig welded off of them.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Yeah,

They're great in almost every case for the purpose they're designed for. I mean, I've used an old Lincoln pipeliner extensively, years ago; Miller Bobcats, a Big 40, Ranger, Hobart, and Thermal Arc too, if I recall, and I've liked them all. I think they were all 100% duty cycle too, whether they were liquid or air-cooled, which is a big plus with field work.

So, maybe you're debating whether a standard welding unit is better for your purposes? It probably is, unless you do field fabrication, repair, or live on a ranch/farm.

Engine-driven units are great in the field. Otherwise, they're noisy, cost more, have more maintenance, take up more space, are very heavy, are a visible target for theft, etc., etc.
ryanjames170 wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Any specifics because I'm sure there is a vast amount of info if you ask more specific questions. Models, size, age anything at all would be helpful for you.
more or less just engine drives in general that are not newer ones.. i have a miller 2E but i was curious more on how they weld vs a non engine drive.
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
ryanjames170

C. Livingstone wrote:Yeah,

They're great in almost every case for the purpose they're designed for. I mean, I've used an old Lincoln pipeliner extensively, years ago; Miller Bobcats, a Big 40, Ranger, Hobart, and Thermal Arc too, if I recall, and I've liked them all. I think they were all 100% duty cycle too, whether they were liquid or air-cooled, which is a big plus with field work.

So, maybe you're debating whether a standard welding unit is better for your purposes? It probably is, unless you do field fabrication, repair, or live on a ranch/farm.

Engine-driven units are great in the field. Otherwise, they're noisy, cost more, have more maintenance, take up more space, are very heavy, are a visible target for theft, etc., etc.
ryanjames170 wrote:

i did not know that on the arc lag, might explain why the onwer who had it before me coverted it to a manual govener..

the welder was kinda impulse buy at a good pice, havent gotten it out to weld with due to a total lack of a good day.. as i was curious of how they welded and what not.
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

ryanjames170 wrote: i did not know that on the arc lag, might explain why the onwer who had it before me coverted it to a manual govener..

the welder was kinda impulse buy at a good pice, havent gotten it out to weld with due to a total lack of a good day.. as i was curious of how they welded and what not.
I wouldn't worry about the arc lag.
You just get used to tapping the rod on the work-piece to kick the high idle up, then scratch and weld happy :)

I've only used a couple and have not found it objectionable.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
ryanjames170

MinnesotaDave wrote:
ryanjames170 wrote: i did not know that on the arc lag, might explain why the onwer who had it before me coverted it to a manual govener..

I wouldn't worry about the arc lag.
You just get used to tapping the rod on the work-piece to kick the high idle up, then scratch and weld happy :)

I've only used a couple and have not found it objectionable.

my machine dose not have a auto speed control anymore.. i think at one point it quit working and was rigged up at any rate its not a issue having to tap the rod to get it upto speed..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST