Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

would on a welder like my Miller 2E still be subject to the whole corse being more for amp control and the fine being more for volt control with in that given range?

like is being explained in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvZGxFs0bJQ&app=desktop this video blew my mind a bit and what i was thinking the fine adjustment was for.. i was purely thinking it was just for amps.. as i had though amps and volts came up together with engine drives kinda like they do with wall powered units..

if so how would i go about deciding what range to use for 1/8 7018 vs 1/8 6010/6010 ect ect? or it would it be more of pick something and adjust untill it welds about right and kinda keep those settings wrote down so to speak..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I would go with the explanation of controls of a specific machine provided by the manufacturer, at least as a good place to start.

You can find the manual here- https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

After entering blue star 2e it gives a listing of manuals by serial number series.

Just clicking on the first one, page 9, the coarse gives you a current of say, 100 amps. The fine control gives you a percentage of that. So if you need 85 amps, you set coarse at 100, and fine at 85. Or for 7018 at 125 amps, the coarse at 150 and fine at about 83%. You can also manipulate the arc characteristics a little by changing the coarse range and percentage of it to equal the same current at different voltage.

And since different people weld differently, it's best to play around some and figure out what gives you the best results.
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

I have watched that video before, and wondered if it applied my Bobcat 225 or just to SA-200's. My Bobcat has a suggested fine adjustment of 7 at the second gear for 1/8 7018. It seemed hot as I was doing a 3G mock structural test. I hear for 7018 you want to use lower arc force, so I assumed arc force would correspond to the fine adjustment. I tried 2 on the fine adjustment, and as I recall, I had a lot of snuffing out and sticking the rod. I would love to have explained to me what the fine adjust on a miller is doing, and how I should set it for what.

BTW, the guy in that video is Travis. He is very intelligent, and dedicated to the welding arts.
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

bosulli wrote:I have watched that video before, and wondered if it applied my Bobcat 225 or just to SA-200's. My Bobcat has a suggested fine adjustment of 7 at the second gear for 1/8 7018. It seemed hot as I was doing a 3G mock structural test. I hear for 7018 you want to use lower arc force, so I assumed arc force would correspond to the fine adjustment. I tried 2 on the fine adjustment, and as I recall, I had a lot of snuffing out and sticking the rod. I would love to have explained to me what the fine adjust on a miller is doing, and how I should set it for what.

BTW, the guy in that video is Travis. He is very intelligent, and dedicated to the welding arts.
i feel you there on the millers as they are a AC Geneator basically powering a welder not alot different then plugging your welder into a generator how ever they controls are not quite the same as a well pluged in welder.. where as a SA200 is a DC generator that is more or less directly supplying welding current.. so i could see it being different for milers how ever they could of made it work the same too but yeah no one really has ever explored it any.. and they have not spelled it out in the manuals either.. i kinda think it works the same though as they were trying to get into the market that lincoln had with the SA200 and 300's
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

I'm interested to learn more on this subject as well. My main power source and welder is a 89 miller legend aead 200le that I've been running stick off of since 92, love that machine. It's very similar to your E2, which also had he 100hz outlet, and lower rpms than most generator welders. I was recently given a HF250D-1 high freq box, a water cooled torch, and got all the fixin's for pedal tig, only wish I'd taken up tig years ago.
Getting it all to run with a foot pedal (basically just tapping the fine current rheostat to a pedal) took some doing, so I have been trying to study up a bit on how these machines function.
Along with this years upgrades I just got a millermatic 130 for thin gauge work, which I tend to avoid, if 3/32 6013 blows holes it gets touchy for me.
Also been reading up on using voltage sensing feeders like the miller 12vs, in use with CC power sources, and to tie this line of thinking with the thread, I'd really like to put a clamp on ammeter and a volt meter on my welding leads, and run some beads in the different course current settings, and try the fine current control at both extremes and see just what is going on with the volt/amp curves in action. I do understand that voltage is variable in SMAW welding, might be worth renting or borrowing a 12vs to see what happens.
If anyone has a good grasp of what I'm likely to see, or has links to more info I'd love to hear about it.
PS, in regards to the last post about he bobcat welder, I think it s a different critter than the AEAD, the generator looks a lot different. Anyone know anything about the constant voltage adapter that was avalable for the SA-200s? I noticed in the miller literature that CV boxes were available for some miller gen welders too. Interesting....