Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
welder1958
    Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 pm

So here's a new one. I was on another welding forum and saw a post about 6011 rods sticking, which I'm having the same problem. One of the reply's I read stated that if 6011 rods are too dry to dunk them in some water. Anybody ever heard of this? I never have.
Also, if anyone has any ideas as to why my 6011's are sticking at low amps it would be a big help. Another member here suggested that I clean my welder, which I did. And still the same problem. When I turn the amps down, below about 120, have a terrible time get them to start and run. Can anyone give me any help with this?
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

welder1958 wrote:So here's a new one. I was on another welding forum and saw a post about 6011 rods sticking, which I'm having the same problem. One of the reply's I read stated that if 6011 rods are too dry to dunk them in some water. Anybody ever heard of this? I never have.
Also, if anyone has any ideas as to why my 6011's are sticking at low amps it would be a big help. Another member here suggested that I clean my welder, which I did. And still the same problem. When I turn the amps down, below about 120, have a terrible time get them to start and run. Can anyone give me any help with this?
Hahaha wet the rod. That's a new one. If that's a proven method, I will be shocked.

You will introduce hydrogen into the weld, which isn't good for any weld. 7018's have to be kept in ovens when used for certain procedures to keep the hydrogen the F out of them.

I can't imagine dipping your rod in water is going to make it run any better ;)
if there's a welder, there's a way
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

I'd rather troubleshoot the weld system a little like checking to see if the output settings are accurate than to use wet rods. Or just bump it up a little until the arc becomes stable if it's a choice between which you can get away with.

I've done some wet nasty welding with 6010 and the flux starts to blow/peel off when they are hot and wet. I don't see that being much different for 6011 with both being cellulosic flux formulas.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

6010-6011 do need a bit of moisture for the flux to work right. I've welded shut holes in pipe that were running water like a garden hose. Ideal ? No. But doable. I'd sooner guess that your welder puts out low voltage. It takes a little higher voltage to run 6010 than 7018. Turning up the amps can compensate some for this fact. Likely why you have troubles above or below a certain amp range. Try a smaller diamiter rod this may make it posible to run 6010 at a lower amperage. The only thing that will suffer will be your deposit rate.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
ryanjames170
    Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:46 pm

Poland308 wrote:6010-6011 do need a bit of moisture for the flux to work right. I've welded shut holes in pipe that were running water like a garden hose. Ideal ? No. But doable. I'd sooner guess that your welder puts out low voltage. It takes a little higher voltage to run 6010 than 7018. Turning up the amps can compensate some for this fact. Likely why you have troubles above or below a certain amp range. Try a smaller diamiter rod this may make it posible to run 6010 at a lower amperage. The only thing that will suffer will be your deposit rate.
this is what i have found on this subject.. running a smaller DIA rod of 6010 on a machine that dose not have the voltage for it sometimes can lead to the rod lighting on fire more often then not.. i have found i can run 1/8 6010 on my AHP160ST with out much issue if i do my part but if i go over to 3/32 6010.. ehh i just roast it every time.. i can only think the flux cant take the extra amps needed to keep it lit.. but the larger amount of flux and rod of the 1/8 rod can..
but i do recommend trying it to see as you might have a extra volt or 2 on me and that might be all you need to get it to run. just keep a eye out for it lighting on fire haha..
Welder/Fitter
RM Fab & Products

Lincoln Invertec V300 pro
Miller 54D Wire Feeder
Miller 2E DC Welder Generator
Everlast Power IMIG 200
Everlast Power ARC 200ST
Klutch Plasma 275i Plasma Cutter
Hobard/Smith Oxy Torch using propane.
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

On a blast furnace steam tracing job we were given surplus German rods that were supposed to be the same thing as 6010 rods. They would fire out the side when struck, our foreman told us to dunk the rods in water. It did help as I recall, but the rods heat so quickly I don't see how the moisture could remain in the cellulose flux covering all the way to the top of the rod.