It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:11 am Advanced search

Holy. Crap.

Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects

Holy. Crap.

Postby Oscar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:43 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Re: Holy. Crap.

Postby Rupes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Channel sponsor. Nice

Well done to him to get them on board.

Its a $1200 inverter stick welder, yes tig too but lift tig and most of those little welders can get set up that way. A long way off the usual stuff he has on there.

I think he just needs to bump up the research/info bit on his videos and it would go a long way. Like why is it so expensive? VRD? target market i.e. mining, plant equipment maintenance on site etc.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Postby Oscar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 pm

Rupes wrote:Channel sponsor. Nice

Well done to him to get them on board.

Its a $1200 inverter stick welder, yes tig too but lift tig and most of those little welders can get set up that way. A long way off the usual stuff he has on there.

I think he just needs to bump up the research/info bit on his videos and it would go a long way. Like why is it so expensive? VRD? target market i.e. mining, plant equipment maintenance on site etc.

I'm not even looking at any of that stuff, lol. Just the sheer capability of the machine. My stick welder (really tig welder) won't even come close to that welding amperage on 120V 20A power.
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:47 pm

The extension chord thing is cool I guess, being that AC was designed to run long distance with little drop, but what I'd like to see is a small machine with umph to push DC through a couple hundred feet of weld lead.

Granted, extension chord is way less expensive than weld lead, but that was more a demonstration of extension chords and generator than weld machine.

But thats my skeptical side talking. I would totally use that machine, no question about it.
PeteM
Guide

Postby MinnesotaDave » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:01 pm

It's cool, I'd buy it if I needed one and wanted to spend in that price range.

Interesting programming options too.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
MinnesotaDave
Weldmonger

Postby Oscar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:08 pm

PeteM wrote:The extension chord thing is cool I guess, being that AC was designed to run long distance with little drop, but what I'd like to see is a small machine with umph to push DC through a couple hundred feet of weld lead.

Hmm. With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense, to me :?: That doesn't have anything to do with the machine, but with whether or not the operator has sized the welding leads to the correct gauge. The machine can only see the wire as resistance (with DC). Either you control it, or you don't. If you under-size the leads to begin with then that is applied handicap, not an inherent one. Remember ohms law? The only thing that opposes the current (with a given amount of voltage), is the resistance.
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby Rupes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:16 pm

Pushing DC long distances would require bumping up the voltage unfortunately. Other option is lower resistance i.e thicker cables. This has a VRD i'm pretty sure, so it drops the open circuit voltage to under probably 20 or 30 volts. May be able to weld at lower voltages too. Lower voltage and you can up the current while still showing the same load on the supply circuit.

I keep forgetting about the 120V thing. That sucks, I know the UK has 220/240 supply however I've noticed they've now dropped to 120 or 110 V for building sites I think. For some kind of safety reason or another. Really does hamstring your ability to run anything heavy.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
Rupes
Guide

Postby Rupes » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:27 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:It's cool, I'd buy it if I needed one and wanted to spend in that price range.

I picked up a similar VRD inverter unit to this without the 6010 function for a few hundred bucks on ebay a few years ago. Was parted out from an auction lot that came from a mining maintenance company. No competition bid wise at the time as not many people see value in buying this (with a similar new price to the Fronius) used for $300 vs buying a brand new 180amp stick welder from the hardware chain for the same amount or less.

Just re-watched the start. It does have voltage reduction device. Only works on open circuit I think but must be a safety requirement on certain sites.
Rupes
Guide

Postby Oscar » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:It's cool, I'd buy it if I needed one and wanted to spend in that price range.

The soon to be released HTP 200A, 15lb inverter dedicated stick welder caught my attention as well as this one.
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby PeteM » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 pm

Oscar wrote:
PeteM wrote:The extension chord thing is cool I guess, being that AC was designed to run long distance with little drop, but what I'd like to see is a small machine with umph to push DC through a couple hundred feet of weld lead.

Hmm. With all due respect, that doesn't make any sense, to me :?: That doesn't have anything to do with the machine, but with whether or not the operator has sized the welding leads to the correct gauge. The machine can only see the wire as resistance (with DC). Either you control it, or you don't. If you under-size the leads to begin with then that is applied handicap, not an inherent one. Remember ohms law? The only thing that opposes the current (with a given amount of voltage), is the resistance.

I get ohms law. What I mean is that the weld circuit is going to be the same no matter where he puts the machine. There are 2 power supplies in that system. The generator to the welder, and the welder. It just occurred to me as he was talking about the power of the machine that the machine is pushing through 20 ft. of weld circuit whether it was right next to the truck or 150 feet away.

Economically it is far better to run through a 100 ft. extension cord at $50 some bucks than to run through 200 ft. of 4/0 at $800.00.
PeteM
Guide

Next

Return to Stick Welding/Arc Welding - Shielded Metal Arc Welding