Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
jpetro
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:25 pm

We just bought a use lowboy trailer to haul around a dozer and all the stringers are rusted through we are going to just weld plates where needed over the holes but can't figure out which rod would be the best to use with rust and new metal
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

7018 is pretty popular as long as the position supports its use. How thick is the metal and the new plates? It would also be useful to clean some of the rust away.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome...
Not to be a smart azz if you don't know what rod to use your in over your head.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Now Mike, to be fair I'll give him some props for checking and asking to make sure cause I know I don't want to follow some guy with a jank trailer hauling a dozer and bam a weld breaks. That is not where I want to be.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Remove ALL rust before welding new metal. Trailers in general are dangerous. Trailers with patches "welded" to rust are very dangerous.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Depends on the rust. Is it just surface rust? How far down into the surface do you have to grind to get through the rust? I.e. 1/2 base metal grind down a 1/16. Probably fine. 1/8 base metal grind down 1/16 .... better cut out more metal to get back to a good solid place.
I have more questions than answers

Josh