Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I was sorting brought some 6010s of various sizes that are probably 30 years old if not more and I was pulling out some random 7014s. I grabbed what I though thought to be a 7014 but I pulled it out and found out it was a 1/4" 7024. So of course I grabbed it and lit it up. I fed the old Airco buzz box its vitamins at 180 amps. Nicest arc start after some cut off wheel due to a lack of flux on both ends. It was probably water logged from humidity and had some weird crap that was almost sticky. I also he never seen such a large and hot flame on the end of an electrode after I stopped welding.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 735 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (51.63 KiB) Viewed 735 times
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A buddy is working on a tunnel job, he's burning 20" 7024 rods that are 7/32". I believe he told me he's running 235amps. Laying a 1/4" deep pass 1/2" wide at a go. You gotta love stick welding. It must be like welding with a 4x4! I don't think I'm man enough to even hold 20" rods for a 10 hour shift- :oops:
Farmwelding

That's gotta be a hard time to see that puddle from 20". A cheater lense ain't enough you are gonna need a pair of binoculars.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I imagine (as you found out) the arc emitted from that rod must be like Times Square on New Years Eve. I doubt seeing the puddle is a challenge. Besides, if you're certified to run that rod, needing to see the puddle to weld isn't likely an issue ;)
Farmwelding

cj737 wrote:I imagine (as you found out) the arc emitted from that rod must be like Times Square on New Years Eve. I doubt seeing the puddle is a challenge. Besides, if you're certified to run that rod, needing to see the puddle to weld isn't likely an issue ;)
Yeah it looked like the one 7024 I have seen when Jody used some blue demon and he slag swirled all around, lot of spatter, a lot of fire after termination but I have to say an excellent start of he arc though and ran well no matter the length. Never used it and like I said a weird coating on top of the flux.
Nick