Stick Welding Tips, Certification tests, machines, projects
    Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

I have Phoenix 300F potable oven, I know it is only meant to store rods from freshly opened pack and keep for some hrs until used.
But I'm wondering if 7018 that stood open for some time, will benefit from overnight storage in this oven before use?

or will it need 550F to make any changes.
What never happened before can always happen again....
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Trident wrote:I have Phoenix 300F potable oven, I know it is only meant to store rods from freshly opened pack and keep for some hrs until used.
But I'm wondering if 7018 that stood open for some time, will benefit from overnight storage in this oven before use?

or will it need 550F to make any changes.
You will dry the flux and make it burn better, but the damage to the low-hydrogen status is already done. I don't recommend it for code work. I'm not sure 550 will restore the lo-hy properties once it's been exposed to atmosphere for more than four hours.

On that note, don't put 60XX rods in the oven. They like ambient humidity and perform poorly when very dry. I could not convince one employer of this, so I'd take the next day's rod out of the oven at the end of the day and stash it in my gangbox.

Steve S
    Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:29 am

Thank you!!

I will not be doing code work, I'm asking more due to curiosity, I felt like it was running better even though only 150Cels (300F)

But wasn´t sure if it was my imagination :?
What never happened before can always happen again....
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Yeah, can't hurt, the dryer they are the better.

Running them even slightly wet like at night outside when there is dew on the grass and what not, had my pack open when I was building something, had to do it outside because they were painting their shop floor and at around midnight, temperatures dropped a bit and it got moist outside, my 7018's were just sitting there and the next day, they were not running all that well.

We let ours sit on top of our hydronic boiler, that seems to dry em up :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way